Where's the "grey wire' on an 07 WR450

How do you pull it out?

Use a small flat screwdriver to get the ends disconnected. As JS recommended, wrap it up with tape.

Or as poo:eek: recommended, you could install a switch. A bit more mechanical but if you are so inclined.?

The grey wire and AIS are not related, other than they are present on the WR to please the EPA and CARB and achieve "Green Sticker" compliance. The AIS is a stand alone smog pump, for lack of a better term. The grey wire removal changes the timing curve to better deal with the increased fuel load achieved by trimming/replacing the WR throttle stop with the YZ version. AIS removal does NOTHING for performance, regardless of what anyone tells you. If they say they felt a boost in power, it's a psychosomatic feeling only. The only benefits from AIS removal are a bit of weight removal, cleaning up the engine for appearance and ease of maintenance, and a decrease in deceleration popping, which aids in jetting the bike properly when diagnosing a lean/rich condition.

Because of Yamaha's GYTR AIS removal kit, there has been some confusion of late. As the kit comes with a different needle, jets and a YZ throttle stop, it is assumed that all the changes are related to the AIS. This is a misnomer, as the carb and AIS function independently. The needle, jets and throttle stop return the carburetor to its intended, non-EPA/CARB state, while the included plugs deal with the AIS. Hopefully this will clear things up for anyone who has received conflicting information. Expect a pop quiz later in the week ?...SC

P.S.-All the grey wire locations and reasons for doing it are listed in the FAQ...Read it!!!

Hey Guys... Great Forum btw!

I just bought a 2007 WR450 a couple of months ago and have been doing the free mods. Today I cut the grey wire and the bike wouldn't start. I wired it back together and it started just fine. What gives? ?

Search around and you can find a picture of the wire that needs to be cut on the 2007's, make sure it's the same wire you cut. It shouldn't give you any starting issues.

Search around and you can find a picture of the wire that needs to be cut on the 2007's, make sure it's the same wire you cut. It shouldn't give you any starting issues.

There's six wires in the connector but when I disconnect the grey wire it kills the engine. I have also heard that the sky blue wire may be the one. Is this correct?

There's six wires in the connector but when I disconnect the grey wire it kills the engine. I have also heard that the sky blue wire may be the one. Is this correct?

The wire is grey, not blue. It's located behind the left number plate, next to the coolant reservoir that you can see above the rear tire. I don't think that you're supposed to mess with the wire while the engine is running, it might create some "issues" if you do that.

hi ive got a 05 450 can some one tell me where the bloody hell it is on my model thanks Marjen AUST.

You have to remove the full tank and from the right side you will see the bundle of wires under the frame. Find the six pin connector with the grey wire in it.

Here is a link with pics. Its for a 250F but it is the same procedure.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/gray_wire.htm

Just cut the wire and install a switch at the handelbars then you got a dual curve ignition on:for slow rocky stuff and off: for yz power!!

I would like to do this. What kind of switch did you use and where did you buy it? The WR can be a handful in the real technical and sloppy stuff when the grey wire is unplugged. It would be nice to be able to switch.

Thanks.