WR450 Stalling Problem

I have an '05 WR450 that stalls when it gets hot. Just had the bike tuned-up, valves adjusted, the works, and it still stalls. It will start when it cools down for 10-15 min, but will stall again when it gets hot! Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Welcome to TT. Can you give us more info? Does it stall while riding or just sitting idle. Is there any evidence of coolant overheating? Does it sputter, then die. Stuff like that.

YOUR "HOT AND STALL" SOUNDS LIKE A ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.? I WOULD CHECK THE STATOR AND PULSAR OHMS READINGS WHEN COOL AND THEN CHECK THEM WHEN THEY ARE HOT AND BIKE "STALLS". IF THEY STAY WITHIN SPECS, THAN MORE THAN LIKELY A CDI UNIT HAS GONE SOUTH. UNLIKE THE DRZ/KTM'S THE YAMAHA USUALLY HAS A VERY SOLID ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. PLEASE KEEP US ADVISED AS TO WHAT YOU DISCOVER...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have an '05 WR450 that stalls when it gets hot. Just had the bike tuned-up, valves adjusted, the works, and it still stalls. It will start when it cools down for 10-15 min, but will stall again when it gets hot! Any suggestions?

It mainly dies while riding, and the way it stalls is like it runs out of gas. I took the carb out (what a pain that was) and am currently in the process of cleaning it. I will keep you all informed if this was or was not the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
It was the carb. It just needed to be cleaned. Once it was cleaned, it now runs as good as new! Thanks for the advice!!!

Do these need to be cleaned often? Ive been riding mine every weekend for the last year and I assumed running fresh gas thru it regularly would keep it clean, what do you guys think? should I clean my carb for GP?