Metzler - Sahara 3 vs Karoo 2

This thread is about front tire only, 90/90-21.

I have an XR650R that I ride 50/50. The Sahara is about twice the price of the Karoo, and looks to be more of a 70 street and 30 dirt. The Karoo looks to be 70 dirt and 30 street. Assuming this is true (or close), what else do I get from the Sahara for the extra $50?

I'd rather lean slightly toward dirt if I have to make a sacrifice. Any chance that the Sahara is equal to the Karoo in offroad situations? The Sahara looks to be a clear winner for the street (but not sure).

Is it possible that the Sahara, being $50 more expensive, is better than the Karoo both on the street AND in the dirt?

:excuseme:

Mike.

This thread is about front tire only, 90/90-21.

I'd rather lean slightly toward dirt if I have to make a sacrifice. Any chance that the Sahara is equal to the Karoo in offroad situations? The Sahara looks to be a clear winner for the street (but not sure).

Is it possible that the Sahara, being $50 more expensive, is better than the Karoo both on the street AND in the dirt?

:excuseme:

Mike.

No way. The Sahara IMO is not near as good as the Karoo off-road. I'm SURE others will differ but my Saraha didn't want to do anything off-road except straight up hard pack. The Karoo is decent in a lot of off-road situations with the exception of mud. And I found the Karoo to give some really good, predictable grip on-road. My 2.

I just put a mefo explorer on the rear and would like something to go on the front. The Mefo's supposedly last a very long time, and I'd like something similar in on/off road ability but have heard some handling quirks of the mefo on the front that are causing me to look elsewhere.

Would the Sahara 3 on the front be a reasonable match for the Mefo on the rear? I do ride in mud a little and gravel roads fairly frequently.

Any additional choices I should consider? Probably not looking for a knobby.

Mike

The Mefo Explorer Looks like a dual sport while the IKC80 is clearly a knobbie. Will I have problems with teh Mefo in the rear and TKC80 in the front? Are they similar enough on road, dirt, wet, and mud that the front end and rear end of my xr650r will still get along?

Mike.