Turbo City Adventure Touring Wind Screen review

In another thread a few weeks ago about wind screens, I mentioned that I had ordered the new Turbo City wind screen and would report after I had put some highway miles on it.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5007142&postcount=15

It took about a week to arrive. It took me another week to get around to installing it. The TC screen mounts on brackets that attach to the handlebar clamp front bolt and the top fork tube pinch bolt (where the turn signals attach). The brackets are very well made and finished. They clear all the cables and controls nicely, although someone with an Aqualine tank reported clearance issues with the brackets. No problems with my 5 gallon IMS. Install took about half an hour and I'm slow and methodical. I had to look up the torque settings for the pinch bolts and handlebar clamp bolts too.

The wind screen itself mounts to the brackets with nylon bolts. These are simple slot heads so removing the shield should only take a couple of minutes for offroading (though not as quick and easy as the two thumbscrews on the Spitfire S-06 and more small bits to keep track of). I really like the fit, finish and design.

I just got back Thursday night from an 850-mile tour. Most of it was on secondary highway (50-60 mph), about 50 miles on good gravel and dirt roads. I'm very happy with the TC screen, definitely worth the $159. I'm 5'9 1/2" and it deflected most of the wind and bugs over my head (with the Spitfire I spent a lot more time cleaning bugs of my face shield at gas stops). The brackets hold the screen about two inches off the headlight cowl and this (the gap created) seems to smooth the airflow. There was a little twitchiness (buffeting) when passing 18 wheelers and in strong crosswinds, but certainly no worse than with the Spitfire and nothing to be alarmed about.

I kept careful records of fuel consumption since the TC screen is a bit larger than the Spitfire. Interestingly, although I had the bike loaded with camping gear in aluminum panniers and a Revpack Tour Pack (across the back of the seat and rack), my gas mileage improved! My setup is stock and I have gotten around 50 mpg on previous trips. This time I averaged 56 mpg! I have read that Parabellum advertises improved fuel economy when you use their screens (better aerodynamics) but I wouldn't have believed it. The only other factor that could contribute to the improved mileage is that this is the first time I figured I had enough extra weight (with all the gear, racks and panniers) to increase tire pressures to the recommended two-up levels of 25/29. I'd rate the TC screen a 9/10.

I'd like to see a photo or two. We currently have Parabellums.

Thanks.

Jim

In another thread a few weeks ago about wind screens, I mentioned that I had ordered the new Turbo City wind screen and would report after I had put some highway miles on it.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5007142&postcount=15

It took about a week to arrive. It took me another week to get around to installing it. The TC screen mounts on brackets that attach to the handlebar clamp front bolt and the top fork tube pinch bolt (where the turn signals attach). The brackets are very well made and finished. They clear all the cables and controls nicely, although someone with an Aqualine tank reported clearance issues with the brackets. No problems with my 5 gallon IMS. Install took about half an hour and I'm slow and methodical. I had to look up the torque settings for the pinch bolts and handlebar clamp bolts too.

The wind screen itself mounts to the brackets with nylon bolts. These are simple slot heads so removing the shield should only take a couple of minutes for offroading (though not as quick and easy as the two thumbscrews on the Spitfire S-06 and more small bits to keep track of). I really like the fit, finish and design.

I just got back Thursday night from an 850-mile tour. Most of it was on secondary highway (50-60 mph), about 50 miles on good gravel and dirt roads. I'm very happy with the TC screen, definitely worth the $159. I'm 5'9 1/2" and it deflected most of the wind and bugs over my head (with the Spitfire I spent a lot more time cleaning bugs of my face shield at gas stops). The brackets hold the screen about two inches off the headlight cowl and this (the gap created) seems to smooth the airflow. There was a little twitchiness (buffeting) when passing 18 wheelers and in strong crosswinds, but certainly no worse than with the Spitfire and nothing to be alarmed about.

I kept careful records of fuel consumption since the TC screen is a bit larger than the Spitfire. Interestingly, although I had the bike loaded with camping gear in aluminum panniers and a Revpack Tour Pack (across the back of the seat and rack), my gas mileage improved! My setup is stock and I have gotten around 50 mpg on previous trips. This time I averaged 56 mpg! I have read that Parabellum advertises improved fuel economy when you use their screens (better aerodynamics) but I wouldn't have believed it. The only other factor that could contribute to the improved mileage is that this is the first time I figured I had enough extra weight (with all the gear, racks and panniers) to increase tire pressures to the recommended two-up levels of 25/29. I'd rate the TC screen a 9/10.

I did take some pics, but I haven't posted pics to TT before...what's the best approach? When I click the Insert Image button it asks for an URL. Do I have to use one of the free image hosting sites? If so, which do you recommend?

Cheers,

Phil

I like the sound of this shield as far as functionality goes. If it increases aerodynamics, I'm almost sold. Can you do a full tuck behind the shield? My Cee Bailey shield slants back very far and is kind of in the way of a tucked riding position. I still want to be able to sport ride with a windshield in place.

I did take some pics, but I haven't posted pics to TT before...what's the best approach? When I click the Insert Image button it asks for an URL. Do I have to use one of the free image hosting sites? If so, which do you recommend?

Cheers,

Phil

Photobucket is free and seems to work

I can tuck behind the shield, and did so a few times on my last trip. The shield has a mild compound curvature: the sides curve back slightly and the top (2-3"?) curves forward slightly. Taller folks may not have as much room.

• 8 months later...

Hey Phil ....

Now that you have had the TC DR650 Windscreen for a while .... any more comments ??

Thanks - Larry

Okay gents if I did this correctly, here are some pics...

The shield:

TCWS2.jpg

TCWS1.jpg

TCWS3.jpg

The bracketry:

TCWSbracket2.jpg

TCWSbracket1.jpg

Properly Christened:

Bug-spatteredTCWStt.jpg

Cheers,

Phil

I have enjoyed my Turbocity windscreen very much. I just bought a Safari tank from a member here and I read somewhere that the monster tank isn't compatable with the Turbocity windscreen. Has anyone tried to mount this combo? I sure would hate to give up my windscreen.

If you have the turbo city windscreen then there is a little utility rack that mounts using the brackets for the windscreen. The bad part is you have to pull the windscreen. Here's a link to the little rack, check it out.

http://www.turbocity.com/default.php?cPath=69_96

I guess a good use would be if you are off roading you could mount a tool bag there. Anyway it's for 49.00. I don't know why they don't have that with the rest of the DR stuff.

I have the turbo city windscreen also. It directs the wind just over my helmet and I'm 5'6". I was wondering how it would affect my milage so I glad drnorth has checked this for me. I had the windscreen on when I went offroading once and it held up fine. I just got in the way once or twice when I was standing up.

Buckaroo,

Do you get buffeting with the Turbo City? That dirty air that feels like somebody is tap dancing all over the sides, top, front of your helmet. I cannot get happy with my National Cycle shield. Well, I did get happy yesterday, but that's only because I finally duct taped a home made Laminar lip-type thing to it to create a flip-up. I will say that the addition worked a miracle, the thing is like my R80RT from the old days. But talk about dorky! I'm all about function over fashion but this is too much. Please holler back and thanks for any details you can provide.

Sarah

Sarah, I think you would be happy with the TCI windscreen. I'm 5'10" and the air breaks at my neck line leaving my helmet in fairly clean air. The TCI screen isn't considered adjustable, but there is 2" to work with up or down by re-drilling the holes higher or lower. I think this little trick could help lots of folks who are not quite in the clean air.

I will experiment with angle by adding some washers to the top or bottom screws to change the rake. I had planned to do that a year ago when I bought the thing but it has served me so well in the standard position that I forgot about messing with it.

ok, i'm 6'2 and sit rather upright when I ride. I'm betting I'll get a facefull of wind and debris with this one.

and what does it way?

i too tried the spitfire and punted it. Tried the parabellum and punted it. the best I've found yet, but not permanently-mounted, is a oldstyle FZ1 screen turned upside down and mounted behind/against the stock shroud. nothing I've tried in front of the shroud is much improvement... always a lot of helmet-beating.

I want to try screwing on a stock KLR deflector piece