HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baja brad

xr650r master link

4 posts in this topic

I purchased a new RK Gold chain and it had 2 master links. The guys at my parts shop said with the torque of the xr650r I need to use the correct link...they just couldn't remember which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am planning a Baja 1000 pre-run and need to make it to Cabo!

Guys use both, I like the staked. It's stronger and there is not a clip but it requires a chain tool.Good chain will work either way, it's your call.

I've used both styles of master link. I am currently running a staked link as I now have the special tool to press the link together. I personally don't think that it matters which link you use.

I have snapped two chains on my 650R. Neither break was anywhere near the master link.

I agree also. I have use both links and even with the clip type have never had a problem. Just make sure to put the clip on in the right direction and check it often. After a few months of use I took the clip off to change gearing and swap chains (I have 2 sets). Even without the clip I couldn't get the link apart without the tool.

Running hard in places like Baja like you are I'ld run the stacked just for one less thing on your mind.