XRL 650 air box mod

Has anyone cut holes in the left side for better air flow on a XR650L?I have a piece of mesh,I was thinking about cutting a hole about 3 inches in diameter and epoxying the mesh to the back side of the side cover.Any thoughts or sugestions?If this is recommended,where should the hole be cut?I have already removed the snorkle from the airbox.

Has anyone cut holes in the left side for better air flow on a XR650L?I have a piece of mesh,I was thinking about cutting a hole about 3 inches in diameter and epoxying the mesh to the back side of the side cover.Any thoughts or sugestions?If this is recommended,where should the hole be cut?I have already removed the snorkle from the airbox.

I cut 6 one inch holes in my XR600 side cover, then used weather strip adhesive to secure a coarse peice of mesh behind the panel. I can feel the air pulses when the engine is running thru the holes and hear the induction noise when I am cruising down the road. Seem to work good. I run the FCR with a 175 main jet and the temps are around 215F on the highway at 85-90 mph with an 80F ambient.

MGS

I did the 6 one inch holes and ordered the plastic round inserts from Rockmyountain MC with little foam inserts. 165 main, 60 pilot, Big Gun Evo open exhaust, Uni air filter, modified the CV carbs air mixture screw to turn out 2 1/2 turns. I choose to run a little on the rich side, but outside that the bike runs really well. My opinion this looks better on the side of the plate than a screen, but you prolly will get more air with the screen.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webTypeId=177&webCatId=16&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&prodFamilyId=6786