HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ofarrellfitz

Wheel Bearing Retainer Removal - NEW PROBLEM, I swear!

6 posts in this topic

Hey All

I'm going through a 1983 XL600 and am replacing the rear wheel bearings. I'm all torn apart, (it started with a squeaky brake, which turned out to be missing a dust seal.) Yes, I want to get a special tool to remove the retainer. Yes, I'll put new bearings in the freezer and heat my hub eventually...

I've read up and down about wheel bearings, and the retainers, the special tools, who makes 'em, etc, etc. :blah:

My issue is this: Every single tool I've seen online is the rounded pin type with four pins.

This *looks* like it will fit mine, but I'm not sure, BECAUSE: My retainer nut has squared off indentations, like the newer CR retainers, but I've got four of them, like the round hole configuration. :excuseme:

I see a correct picture of it on the microfiches that I look at, but all the new tools only offer the four rounded pins, or the six square pin type... which is probably a different diameter anyway. :foul:

What do I do with my retainer? I want it out of there, but really, really don't want to start whacking away with flat punches or needle nose or screwdrivers or anything else. I've already drilled my 'peens' and I need 'er gone!

Please help!!!:worthy:

On mine I build the tool by myself. Cheap bastard that I am...A 1/4" flat bar, 1/4" nuts and bolt, a drill and a buffer is all you need to solve your problem. It worked for me it should for you.

I just did mine and I would suggest either making it yourself or just being very carefull with the appropriate punch and use PB Blaster or other penatrating lube. If mine hadnt been cross threaded by the last guy mine would have spun off after the first few light taps with a punch and mini mallet.

15-8227.jpg

MartinDKtm--

Built one and got it out, thanks. :applause:

Now, does anybody have any idea how to easily or safely remove the dust seal from the driven flange? (on top of the third bearing inside the rear sprocket?)

Can't help I got an XrL and I have a different wheels than yours...But on mine removing the seal from the lock nut is a scary finger episode...sometimes.

MartinDKtm--

Built one and got it out, thanks. :applause:

Now, does anybody have any idea how to easily or safely remove the dust seal from the driven flange? (on top of the third bearing inside the rear sprocket?)

Use the widest, most rounded out tool you got that'll fit in there & slowly work your way around the sucker a little at a time. It will pop out sooner or later.

BTW, I bought my '83 600 new, been there.