Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
426 NOOB

Oil Filter Choices

11 posts in this topic

I was reading my new dennis kirk magazine and found a stainless mesh oil filter for my 02 426. I was wandering if anyone has used them and do they filter as good as oem?

I decided to get a bunch of Hi Flo brand filters from a local shop for about $5 each. I've been very happy with the way they work.
I have a Ready Racing SS filter and after reading about them here, I also just ordered a bunch of Hi Flo filters. At $5 each and change them every other change, that's $2.50 every month (since I generally put 2.5 h/week and change oil at 5 hr). That's pocket change compared to all the other expenses of riding a dirt bike and I can just toss them instead of spending another 5 minutes cleaning the SS.

Let's work on the math, here. First, I'm just going to guess your numbers are reversed. Otherwise, it's $10/month.

To continue, that's $5 times 12, which is $60, the price of a Scotts , less $5. In my case, at that rate, the Scotts in my '03 has not only paid for itself, it paid for the Scotts filters that I installed in my former YZ250F, and in my '06, and those two have saved me another $180, assuming I would use a $2.50 oil filter in the first place.

But that isn't the point. My decision came down to the question of absolute single pass filter performance versus a slightly higher level of filtration that requires multiple passes through the filter to get it done.

The Stainless filters are a better solution, IMO, and the Scotts are clearly the best of them. The 5 minutes required to clean them is nothing.

The one i was looking at is a comp-flow high performance stainless steel reusable filter.

Let's work on the math, here. First, I'm just going to guess your numbers are reversed. Otherwise, it's $10/month.

I ride approx 2.5 h/week according to the hour meter. Since I change my oil every 5 hr, that's 1 oil change every 2 weeks, 2 oil changes every month. If I use the paper filter at $5 and change it ever other oil change, that's $5/month. Less if I don't ride for 3 months due to a tendon injury. Since a $5 filter = 5 hr riding time, that's $1/hr for filters. My bike has 32.5 hours on it and I paid $40 for the Ready Racing filter. Therefore, I haven't yet paid off my SS filter. If I sell my bike tomorrow, I've lost $7.50 on the filter (and about $2000 on the bike, but who's counting?).

Furthermore, I make about $60/hour when I'm working. 5 minutes spent cleaning a filter is 1/12 or .083 of an hour. Since I could be working and making money (I'm self-employed) instead of cleaning an oil filter, 5 minutes spent cleaning a filter effectively costs me $60 * .083 = $5 in lost income. Therefore, the paper oil filter is free. And I haven't figured in the cost of the brake cleaner used to clean the SS filter, either.

LOL.....

Seriously, though, I agree with the long-range economics and that's why I bought the SS filter in the first place. There are times, though, when I just don't want to clean the SS filter and on those days, I'm going to toss a paper filter in and clean the SS filter later. Maybe I'll alternate them. Maybe after using the paper for awhile, I'll buy a Scotts and alternate SS filters just like I do with air filters. But I do know that those paper filters are going to get used. However.....

My decision came down to the question of absolute single pass filter performance versus a slightly higher level of filtration that requires multiple passes through the filter to get it done.
...this is news to me- I thought the paper filter were MORE effective. That was part of my decision to use paper. You say the Scotts is a better filter- forget the cost- than paper? Speak in microns, I'm listening.

To me, the ideal setup would be two filters in tandem; a Scotts first, backed up by a good paper element. But I only have one, so I chose what I chose.