Clarke tank ?'s

I just picked up a Clarke tank for my XR600R. It doesnt have a stock type of fuel petcock. But does have a screw-on fitting, unlike anything I have seen. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

DSC00017.jpg

Tank:

DSC00018.jpg

Clarke just called me back. They seem to think my tank is a Acerbis (not IMS or Clarke). It did have a Clarke cap on it, and was listed as a Clarke...oh well. Clarke also seems to think its a 5.0 gal. (I'll check today) and the fuel petcock from a 650L may work. I will check @ Honda today.

Just got back from Honda dealer. I do need a XR650L type of petcock. They are 71.50 from dealer (cha-ching) Would anybody out there have a 650L type of petcock for sale??? PM or post if you have one for sale. I would really appreciate it

Just got back from Honda dealer. I do need a XR650L type of petcock. They are 71.50 from dealer (cha-ching) Would anybody out there have a 650L type of petcock for sale??? PM or post if you have one for sale. I would really appreciate it

Try service Honda or Honda direct... 40-50% lower then the dealers typically. You can also pick up a few OEM filters, or whatever other OEM parts you may need. :thumbsup:

http://www.servicehonda.com/

http://www.hdlparts.com/

Thanks for fast reply. I wound up ordering @ Service Honda. Was $51.00+/- shipped. Thanks for the tip. ~Guy

Thanks for fast reply. I wound up ordering @ Service Honda. Was $51.00+/- shipped. Thanks for the tip. ~Guy

Even though it is an XR, you will need parts at times. (mostly due to crashes!) It would cost me about as much in gas for me to go to the dealer to get a part, probably only to find out they needed to order it themselves, so why not order it yourself and save. And, each time you need a part, if you order a few filters at the same time, (OEM filters for my bike are $4 ea vs $8 ea at dealer), then it makes the shipping cost a wash... good luck with the new tank. Get it real clean inside and let it dry out until the part comes in...:thumbsup:

...I hear ya. Im cleaning it as we speak. I checked capacity (crudely w/1 gal jug) and I was able to get appx 4.5 gal. into the tank. I havent found a 4.5 Acerbis tank avail. Could this be a 5 gal tank??

...I hear ya. Im cleaning it as we speak. I checked capacity (crudely w/1 gal jug) and I was able to get appx 4.5 gal. into the tank. I havent found a 4.5 Acerbis tank avail. Could this be a 5 gal tank??

probably. just like they round up an engines real displacement from 244 and call it a 250!

My 5 gallon Clarke says "Clarke" on it down near the lower, underside portion of the tank. It also uses the standard Honda 2 bolt petcock.

150815826-M.jpg

Thanks for the photo. The guys @ Clarke said their tanks dont have the textured area (as seen in photo of underside of my tank). Looks like I got a Acerbis w/a Clarke cap? Tank is very nice. Good quality. I will post some pics when its installed

Sure looks and sounds like an IMS tank. The IMS tank has the texturing you speak of. It looks just like mine but someone modified the petcock mount. I see that it has two holes to mount the threaded part of the stock petcock to. Someone just mounted the threaded part to the tank instead of using the two screws that hold onto the threaded adapter. Unscrew your petcock and it should screw right on. At least that's how it works with my 650L. I wish I had a way to post the instructions for my IMS tank.

The more I look, I think you are correct. Mine looks just like this one (except w/o dry break)

fuel_tank_3.jpg

Does it say XR-5 or anything like that by where the tank strap hooks to the tank? IMS tanks are labeled that way.

See if these help

01.jpg

both.jpg

Does it say XR-5 or anything like that by where the tank strap hooks to the tank? IMS tanks are labeled that way.

It does say "XR650" & "XR600" in that area.