why does my 650L do this?

after completely warmed up, the shifting gets clunky, throttle looses its snap, bike just feels less "tuned in". For the first 15 minutes or so, it's great. Shifts smooth, throttle is snappy, bike sounds great. What could this be?

is this a new problem that just started or ongoing thing?

sounds like more than one problem.. have you cleaned the air filter recently? a dirty filter will throw things off once warmed up. have you changed the oil recently or not? as Denn10 said a little more info is needed...

Some more information:

This has happened since day one. Changed the oil 400 miles ago, 10-40w HP4. Uni filter is clean and properly oiled. 1k miles on it. Never checked the downtube screen.

I'm wondering if the fuel mixture screw is jacked somehow.... when turned in all the way down, should it seat against the carb or is there still a gap? Mine doesn't seat all the way down. I have it 2.5 turns out from where it stops and it's really hard to turn (that could be because I ground the tab off, though).

At start up, i use the choke half way for maybe 5 seconds. After warm it starts up fine, sometimes needs a little throttle but not much. Temp dipstick shows 230 to 250 at fully warmed, riding around streets. The oil "feels" too thin, like it's not sticking to the gears. It doesn't burn oil. No smoke on accel/decel/idle, very little popping.

problem from the start HMMM check this out about your fuel screw and see what that does for ya, it may not be the perfect jetting for your area as the dave's mods recomendations are not perfect for everyone, im using 58/162

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

Your clunking on shift is prolly from the oil, i know mine does a tad bit but from my street bike i switched from HP4 to Mobil1 4T full synthetic and it helped alot, clunking on my cbr600rr is a common thing though. Havent seen alot with the Ls and complaints on that though.

i use the honda oil 20w-50 in summer. this may help.

yeah i was told by XRs only use the 20/50 all year for us in CA and LV fools too. GOOD EYE martin

i use the honda oil 20w-50 in summer. this may help.

I already bought some GN-4 20/50 for the next change. I'll probably go with synthetic after that. As for the fuel screw, is it normal that I can turn it 1 full turn either way from 2.5 turns out and not notice a difference in idle speed?

My XRL shifted clunky also.I switched to 15w40 Rotella oil,now it shifts smooth.

I already bought some GN-4 20/50 for the next change. I'll probably go with synthetic after that. As for the fuel screw, is it normal that I can turn it 1 full turn either way from 2.5 turns out and not notice a difference in idle speed?

my fcr does this too. this usually means the pilot is too big. or should i say that if you can turn it all the way in with no change, that means pilot is to big.

Changing to synthetic oil helped my tranny shift better also. Noticed it right away.

Same here with 20w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic smoothed out the shifting.

Running problem might be valves getting tight when it warms up.Check your clearances.