Stripped tank inserts

well the inserts that the radiator shroud bolts go into on the tank....there is one that just spins.....i cant get the bolt to back out cuz the insert does not hold and i need to switch plastics!!! so is there anything i can do???? thanks

i done the exact same thing on my 250f!...why cant they put square inserts in the tank:S......i got lucky tho...mine was the bolt that i puts my knee over..so all i done was rip the stock shroud off...and make the whole there bigger on my new shrouds...it doesnt flop off but i can pull it off right there

I took a socket (8mm) attached it to a high speed drill. I turn the nut fast enough that it heats up the plastic and eventually it gets hot and you can pull it right out of the tank with ease. Then just clean up the hole and put it back in the tank and epoxy it and thats it. I have done this a couple of times now and its easy.

Funny how the day after I run to this there is a bunch of info on it. I'm stuck with busted off bolts in the inserts. I'm going to drill them out and re tap it with a 8mm, there should be enough meat there to work. I used anti seize on the new tank.

I took a socket (8mm) attached it to a high speed drill. I turn the nut fast enough that it heats up the plastic and eventually it gets hot and you can pull it right out of the tank with ease. Then just clean up the hole and put it back in the tank and epoxy it and thats it. I have done this a couple of times now and its easy.

The dumb ass behind the counter at the local Yamaha dealer told me that the insert was molded and reinforced in the tank, and it wouldn't come out.:banghead:

That's what I said:
The dumb ass behind the counter at the local Yamaha dealer told me that the insert was molded and reinforced in the tank, and it wouldn't come out.:banghead:
Right. :rolleyes: That's why they spun loose in the first place, ain't it?
That's what I said:

The inserts didn't spin loose in the tank, the bolt spun in the insert coming out, both sides of the tank.

That's what I said:

Ya and you explained it way better than I did too. :applause:

The inserts didn't spin loose in the tank, the bolt spun in the insert coming out, both sides of the tank.
Did you get it fixed?
Ya and you explained it way better than I did too. :applause:
I think most people understood your explanation of it. :thumbsup:
Did you get it fixed?

Not yet I have a new IMS, so it's not a real big deal. By the way, I did a search on petcocks and the info you provided helped me out with a 05 petcock.:thumbsup: Thanks.