HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fletcher230

new YZ

6 posts in this topic

alright i just bought a 05 YZ 450 today and im very pleased. my only question is that it seems like the first gear is very high. i was wondering if this is normal and what th resolution is. i was thinking maybe changing the gear or some sprocket change.

It's an MX bike, and they typically have fairly high low gears. But if you bought it used, check the gearing. An '05 came with either a 13/48 or a 14/51. The previous owner may have raised it.

Mine is a 14/51 combo stock and yes 1st is a little tall especially for trail riding/beginner mx if that's what you're doing.

I got into this late in life (for the sport) and only rode trail bikes as a youngster. I thought the same thing, man I would like to go slower at first. I just rode onward through my mental problem and it went away. You will get used to it and actually there is no reason on a YZ or any MX bike to have anything lower as 1st gear.

I got into this late in life (for the sport) and only rode trail bikes as a youngster. I thought the same thing, man I would like to go slower at first. I just rode onward through my mental problem and it went away. You will get used to it and actually there is no reason on a YZ or any MX bike to have anything lower as 1st gear.

Yes to what he said.. Just ride it faster and the problem goes away.. as long as you are not in any tight stuff..

yeah i ride in alot of tight stuff.... im thinkin of gearing it down. i dont know ill ride it for a while and see what happens