HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kasjok

How much metal in oil filter is normal?

7 posts in this topic

It seems like I have had more and more metal in my oil filter lately. I try to get some pictures when I am going to change the oil again. Bike is from year 2004 and I have changed my oil and filter after every 5 hours.

zero metal in the oil filter is normal , it is normal to have a slight metallic paste on your oil drain plug magnet .

metal in the filter could come from a bearing or rockers / cam .

it is hard to say until you inspect internally .

It's not at all unusual to find metal debris in the filter, but it should be relatively fine. Slivers of aluminum from the clutch basket/boss are the most common, followed by random chips and slivers from the transmission.

Squarish, flake shaped chips indicate a bearing failure. And of course, the overall quantity found is important, too.

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

500 plus hours .... gotta be happy with that !

chooken, very happy with it, most dependable mx bike I've ever owned. I don't overrev and it comes stock with stainless valves, that helps. Mike