How much metal in oil filter is normal?

It seems like I have had more and more metal in my oil filter lately. I try to get some pictures when I am going to change the oil again. Bike is from year 2004 and I have changed my oil and filter after every 5 hours.

Not sure but I would be thinking might be time to check the clutch and basket..

zero metal in the oil filter is normal , it is normal to have a slight metallic paste on your oil drain plug magnet .

metal in the filter could come from a bearing or rockers / cam .

it is hard to say until you inspect internally .

It's not at all unusual to find metal debris in the filter, but it should be relatively fine. Slivers of aluminum from the clutch basket/boss are the most common, followed by random chips and slivers from the transmission.

Squarish, flake shaped chips indicate a bearing failure. And of course, the overall quantity found is important, too.

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

500 plus hours .... gotta be happy with that !

chooken, very happy with it, most dependable mx bike I've ever owned. I don't overrev and it comes stock with stainless valves, that helps. Mike