YZ off road- why not WR?

This is a tough one to search for... "YZ or WR" pulls up just about every single post there is!

My question is- those of you who use YZ's off-road, why? Why do you ride a YZ and not a WR?

Reason I ask is because I'm considering cutting back on the MX and bringing the off-road up a little more. I'm debating on whether to sell my 450F and get a WR250F, or whether to sink $800 in softer (and lower- I'm 5' 5") suspension, a flywheel weight, skid plate, and 18" tire for the YZ. The WR offers all of that, but also weighs more. By "off-road", I'm talking about open trails, desert type stuff, Moab, and just general play-riding. Not racing. I'm riding from 4,000-11,000'. In 6 years of riding a KDX200, I never once used the headlight, so that's not much of an issue. Even though my 450F is a 4 speed, I'm very sure I'll be adding 3 teeth to the rear and I'm certain it'll still have enough top-end for me. However, more gears on the WR would be a bonus.

Opinions? Comments? Things to watch for?

Unless you're a pro, you're not gonna feel the extra weight.

The WR would be better suited to your uses. The YZ is a motocross bike, for tracks with jumps. The WR is an all round bike. You will be thankful you have a headlight, if you ever do need it.

So save your cash, go with the WR and spend the saved money on some mods for your WR, or some new gear (if you need it).

You would be wise to buy the WR which will already be set up for your uses, than go and get a YZ which you will be spending money and time on to get it going. The time you save you can be riding.

I use a YZ for desert riding. I guess that is offroad right?

I have a paddle on the back for big dune climbs and sand races..

I think it is better for my purposes as it is lighter and more powerful than the WR.

But yeah it is too bad that I can't ride at night...

You would be wise to buy the WR which will already be set up for your uses, than go and get a YZ
I already HAVE the YZ, though. Better to work with what I have, or sell it? I see possibly $1000 invested and ending up with suspension that works for ME, or sell it and invest probably another $3000 for a WR. I'm thinking "work with what I have", but I was just curious as to whether the YZ-Off-Road bunch bought their YZ's for that purpose or bought them for MX and then changed riding habits but kept the same bike. As for the lights, again, I rode my KDX for 6 years and an XR250 for 3 years prior to that and never once rode at night. Not my thing- in fact, I pulled the lights from both bikes so they wouldn't get broken.

I'll still have the KX for MX. Again, NOT RACING, just MX-riding, if you follow. It's a funny thing but I'm really not into "racing" as much as I am into "riding well". I drove 300 miles 1-way to Denver to watch The GOAT ride, but I didn't go this year to watch superior racing. So, I'm perfectly happy riding the KX125 around an MX track. I'd be happy riding our TTR-125, too, if the suspension (suspension? Did I say "suspension" and "TTR-125" in the same sentence? :naughty: ) was better.

Oh, well, I'm blabbing.... :blah::blah: :blah: Later!

Stick with the YZ. Get a good spark arrestor and handguards at the least, and you'll be set. The skidder and flywheel weights are also good ideas (which you mentioned). IMO, I don't see the need for the 18" rear, but that's just me. The YZ weighs less, doesn't need to be uncorked to run right and will do anything the WR does and then some.

I own a wr right now, I use it for off-road riding, but my next bike will be a yz. First, I love the wr but the electric start drives me nuts. I never use the electric start, its just another 20 lbs sitting there. That would be the only reason that i would be a yz besides more power. I like to "grow into the power" instead of growing out of the power. If I were you I would get the yz, put on like a 51 or 52 tooth rear sprocket, skid plate, barb busters, and a catch tank for the radiators and you've got a off-road racing weapon.

Sounds good to me. I'll keep the YZ, get a skid plate and Dr. D flywheel ASAP. I already have the FMF Q2 (and have it working well, too!). When I change the chain/sprocket, I'll go up 2-3 teeth on the rear and call it good. When I can afford it, I'll get the suspension setup and lowered 1".

WRAS (*) squashed.

(*) WR Acquisition Syndrome

If your an aggressive rider go YZ, If your a cruiser WR might be better.

I have 07 YZ, Bike is quick an nibble. Excellent trial bike for the right person. My buddy is a cruiser, rode my bike said it's like an angry beast. I rode his bike, soft suspension and slow, it felt scary to me.

Trail set up: 2.6 Clark tank,52 rear, all guards, 1.7 pressure springs in forks(made big difference for trail riding), stock motor, pro moto billet end cap.

There are different ways to look at this question. The newest WR450 has the aluminum frame, along with a much, much lighter feel under way (same effect it had on the YZF). It apparently still has the same fork the YZF had in '04, though. Even so, an '07 WR can't be compared to the older ones. If you don't want the e-start, you can remove it, along with the associated internal components and the battery.

The YZF is lighter and more powerful, and has far better forks.

But for off-roading, the WR has a couple of nice advantages:

> Wide ratio 5 speed with a low gear lower than a YZF has with 3 extra teeth on the back, and a 5th higher than a YZF with an extra tooth on the front.

> A heavier flywheel and an electrical system that will drive lights as is, and can be encouraged to drive some pretty big ones.

> an 18" rear wheel.

The WR engine can be made to produce YZ horsepower with relative ease, and at a pretty low price. Just a matter of what's important, and how much you want to spend on modding which bike.

This is a tough one to search for... "YZ or WR" pulls up just about every single post there is!

My question is- those of you who use YZ's off-road, why? Why do you ride a YZ and not a WR?

Reason I ask is because I'm considering cutting back on the MX and bringing the off-road up a little more. I'm debating on whether to sell my 450F and get a WR250F, or whether to sink $800 in softer (and lower- I'm 5' 5") suspension, a flywheel weight, skid plate, and 18" tire for the YZ. The WR offers all of that, but also weighs more. By "off-road", I'm talking about open trails, desert type stuff, Moab, and just general play-riding. Not racing. I'm riding from 4,000-11,000'. In 6 years of riding a KDX200, I never once used the headlight, so that's not much of an issue. Even though my 450F is a 4 speed, I'm very sure I'll be adding 3 teeth to the rear and I'm certain it'll still have enough top-end for me. However, more gears on the WR would be a bonus.

Opinions? Comments? Things to watch for?

I'm about 3 months and $800 (IMS tank,skid plate,6 oz F.W.W,PMB spark arrestor/silent insert,bark busters) and counting into this issue and are always asking myself this same question. Originally for me I didn't have alot of money to sink into this issue therefore I kept the yz instead of trying to sell the yz and buy a new wr. I agree with all of the above and will add that here in AZ I wish I had a little more tame top end for the forest service roads (rather that 3/4 throttle in 4th gear) and at the same time a lower 1st gear for the steep rocky stuff even with my 6 oz flywheel weight. A headlight/taillight is next for me to be legal. I'm tired of looking over my shoulder looking for the men in blue! If you can afford it, go with the WR if you're done with the MX stuff. The yz is better at woods than the wr is at the track!

I should mention that the '03-'06 WR trans will swap into any 4 speed YZ450, and the '07 trans will fit the '06 and later YZ450 models. $700 to convert a 4 spd, less for the newer ones.

It's even possible to swap an '07-8 WR flywheel and stator into an '06-'08 YZ450, but it's neither cheap or nor simple, as it requires at least the left half of the crank to be replaced with the longer part from the WR.

So, again, it can boil down to which features are most important, and which mods to which bike would cost the least.

Unless you're a pro, you're not gonna feel the extra weight.

The WR would be better suited to your uses. The YZ is a motocross bike, for tracks with jumps. The WR is an all round bike. You will be thankful you have a headlight, if you ever do need it.

So save your cash, go with the WR and spend the saved money on some mods for your WR, or some new gear (if you need it).

You would be wise to buy the WR which will already be set up for your uses, than go and get a YZ which you will be spending money and time on to get it going. The time you save you can be riding.

BS.

Can't put it more simply, sorry.

nah, i love my wr.

Well, since we're both in NM maybe we could hook up and go riding and I could try your WR and see for myself!

Where abouts are you and where do you ride? I'm up by Clayton and when I hit the woods, I go to either Red River or the Canadian River by Amarillo TX. Otherwise, I ride the MX track in Raton.