HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr650r_Maine

Hotcams

4 posts in this topic

Hi, What is the difference between the stage 1 and 2 hotcams, I have the stage 2 now and fully uncorked/uni filter w/side cutouts. and street legal but I want more mid/top end get up and go.Do I have to use better valve springs etc.:ride:

this is on a 06 6fitty R. Thanks

Stage 2 is more aggressive than Stage 1.

What are you running for an exhaust? You need a good aftermarket can with an oversized headpipe for maximum top end flow. For best results, a megaphone style exhaust will give you the most top end.

If you are still looking for more mid and top end, and you have a good exhaust, you will need to look at putting larger valves in the head and getting it ported. XR's Only will glady perform this service.

A larger carb could also help increase the mid and top end. Make sure to get one with an accelerator pump so the loss in the bottom end is not noticable. This is because the larger carb has lower air velocities, resulting in poorer fuel atomization at low rpms. The accelerator pump helps to fix this.

Stage 2 is more aggressive than Stage 1.

What are you running for an exhaust? You need a good aftermarket can with an oversized headpipe for maximum top end flow. For best results, a megaphone style exhaust will give you the most top end.

If you are still looking for more mid and top end, and you have a good exhaust, you will need to look at putting larger valves in the head and getting it ported. XR's Only will glady perform this service.

A larger carb could also help increase the mid and top end. Make sure to get one with an accelerator pump so the loss in the bottom end is not noticable. This is because the larger carb has lower air velocities, resulting in poorer fuel atomization at low rpms. The accelerator pump helps to fix this.

Opp`s my bad I just looked and I have the stage 1 pt#1009-1.I have the stock header and pipe,drilled a 2" hole in the end,What do you recommend for a pipe/header, I was thinking XR`S only set-up or is thier better for mid/top end power,what carb Edlebrock,tm40 or the fcr41. I wonder if it`s worth porting without the bigger valves,I will get the hotter cam stage 2 soon.Is thier a better bolt in mid/top end cam besides the Hotcams stage 2?:thumbsup: Thanks

The head on the XR650R flows on the flow bench real close to the best it possibly can. It isn't even a good idea to cleam up or polish it. It has been a mistake on the heads we have ported/polished. For Motard, cleaning up the ports and polish helps but, for the dirt leaving it as is (taking down any rough edges would be good).