WR450 or CRF450X... reliability, maintenance, etc...

Hey, I'm looking for a new bike and have pretty much narrowed it down between either the Yamaha WR450 and the Honda CRF450X. I'm mainly focused on the CRF450X and have learned quite a bit about it, but I don't know much about the WR450.

I'm 20 yrs old, 6'1'' and 160 lbs and I work out regularly. I grew up mainly riding ATV's(4x4s). I live out in the country, in east Texas, and mainly ride around my house where there are many, many, trails from where oil companies have come in and drilled. The size of the trails vary from regular hard packed dirt roads, to soft 5 ft wide trails, to smaller less packed dirt made by other trail riders, but you can still ride them all relatively fast. There aren't any rocky areas besides small loose rocks. I ride a lot because it so close to me, basically in my back yard, just about every-other day. Thats basically where I ride and how often.

My main concern with the two bikes is maintenance. I asked about this on the CRF forums and the only thing that concerned me was checking and changing the valves and pistons, just because I don't know how to do it and it looks expensive compared to a 2 stroke. So basically I'd like an idea of how often the oils need to be changed, and how often the valves must be checked and/pr changed, if you could give me it in the number of miles as opposed to hours so I can get a better idea.

I know this doesn't matter but I'd also like to know how fast th WR450 can go, top speed, acceleration... and if you can wheelie it easily and slide around corners..:ride:

Thanks.

Compare prices on parts for a top end rebuild on the WR and CRF. That should give you your answer. They are both great bikes.

Comparing prices is only part of the overall picture. If you have to replace the top end/valves 3 times to 1 it doesn't matter if the parts are a little cheaper.

I don't know what the prices are (nor do I care) because Yamaha's are the most reliable four stroke on the market. Chances are - unless you are a serious racer - you will go many miles without a rebuild on a WR. As far as maintenace goes the Yamaha is better (I won't attempt to quantify how much). As far as the ride goes, it's a personal choice. I have an 07 WR but I have several friends with CRF-X's. I'd ride either in a heart beat. Both are great bikes.

Nate

Since you asked on the WR forum, here's my bias opinion. Get the WR.

I've got a few thousand miles on my 03 now with no issues. Change the oil and ride. Great power, handles better than any bike I've ever owned.:applause:

Heard the Hondas have valve issues, but they ARE fun to ride......:ride:

I know this doesn't matter but I'd also like to know how fast th WR450 can go, top speed, acceleration... and if you can wheelie it easily and slide around corners..:ride:

Thanks.

The bike is quick. Here is what I've done to my bike and I'll try to quantify the performance.

1. Cut throttle stop to YZ specs (23.5 mm)

2. Gray wire mod

3. PMB insert in stock exhaust

4. JD jetting for my temp and elevation

5. Opened up air box

6. MSR adjustable fuel screw

It'll do roll on wheelies in gears 1-3. It'll pull it up quick in 4th if you snap the throttle open fast but I only did that once because in 4th you're doing about 65-75 on this bike and basically I almost crapped my pants. It could probably bring it up in 5th with a little clutch and some body english but I have a very strong desire to live:busted: With an aftermarket exhaust, I'm sure this bike will do roll on wheelies in 5th

It accelerates super strong in gears 1-3. The acceleration is pretty good in 4th and 5th, but you can tell the motor is fighting the tall top two gears and the crappy stock muffler. The top speed is probably around 95 with the stock gearing...I've had it up to 75mph in 4th and at 77mph in 5th the motor is just barely pulling off the bottom.

Sliding it around corners ? Thats the best part about this bike:worthy: I call it "dial-a-slide" because the powerband is so smooth. If you only want the back end out alittle, pitch it into a slide and keep it at or less than 1/2 throttle. If you want it out alot, pitch it into a slide and keep it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. If you want to take a dirt sample, pitch it sideways and keep it WFO?

In the configuration I have it in, its plenty of bike for me. Its tractable enough in the tight stuff to where I'm not fighting it and its got enough balls to straighten my arms out and flat out haul ass. I mainly ride single/double track trails and hillclimbs and its perfect.

Thanks for all the help guys, reputation added for all. So, would you say the WR is basically even with the CRF as far as performance and reliability? Is there anything that separates the two significantly?

edit: and could someone elaborate on the comment about the CRF's valve problems...

Thanks for all the help guys, reputation added for all. So, would you say the WR is basically even with the CRF as far as performance and reliability? Is there anything that separates the two significantly?

edit: and could someone elaborate on the comment about the CRF's valve problems...

I have an 05 wr450 and I know three different guys who ride 450x's. The bikes are just about the same. The wr is a little more top heavy, but not by much. The 450x is feels about the same but has a little more low end, but not enough to make that big of a difference for the average guy.

The guys I know put just as many, if not more miles on their X's as I do the wr. They definitely ride harder and longer than I do and they have had no problems.

Either bike is great. Find the one that you can get the best price on and buy it.

I reasearched the CRF (among a whole list of others) before I bought my WR so I actually know a bit about the bike

It seems to be common with the CRFs that the intakes valves, specifically the one on the left loose their clearance fast. When they "zero" out, usually you can shim them once before you have to replace them. There are alot of theories as to why this happens.

1. The nitride coating on the valves is crap

2. The valve seats are too hard

3. Bouncing off the rev limiter

4. Improper air filter maintenence

5. Valvetrain harmonics

From what I've read, some riders can only go about 2,000 miles before replacing valves (top end rebuild) while others can go 6,000-9,000 miles. That tells me two things:

1. Its probably a mantinence thing

2. The riders with the higher mileage bikes may be exagerating :busted:

?? j/p

The low mileage guys are either super fast (abusive) or they suck at maintenence

I REALLY wanted the X since I have a CR500AF and there were advantages to having another Honda. The reason I went with the 2007WR is many of my buds ride them and swear by them. Some had experiences with honda and switched to the WR. Much of it is antidotal so it's tuff to really say, but enough was said to make up my mind. That and the fact that for some reason I just click with any Yamaha I ride and it doesn't seem to matter what the rider setup was. I've ridden bikes that were the same as mine (300ktm)and came away with "what the heck did they do to it" But not Yammie, maybe they set them all up for me:ride:

Hey, I'm looking for a new bike and have pretty much narrowed it down between either the Yamaha WR450 and the Honda CRF450X. I'm mainly focused on the CRF450X and have learned quite a bit about it, but I don't know much about the WR450.

I'm 20 yrs old, 6'1'' and 160 lbs and I work out regularly. I grew up mainly riding ATV's(4x4s). I live out in the country, in east Texas, and mainly ride around my house where there are many, many, trails from where oil companies have come in and drilled. The size of the trails vary from regular hard packed dirt roads, to soft 5 ft wide trails, to smaller less packed dirt made by other trail riders, but you can still ride them all relatively fast. There aren't any rocky areas besides small loose rocks. I ride a lot because it so close to me, basically in my back yard, just about every-other day. Thats basically where I ride and how often.

My main concern with the two bikes is maintenance. I asked about this on the CRF forums and the only thing that concerned me was checking and changing the valves and pistons, just because I don't know how to do it and it looks expensive compared to a 2 stroke. So basically I'd like an idea of how often the oils need to be changed, and how often the valves must be checked and/pr changed, if you could give me it in the number of miles as opposed to hours so I can get a better idea.

Thanks.

Yamaha is much more reliable than Kawasaki or Honda big bores. My neighbours have Kawasaki 450F 2007 and CRFX 450F 2006. Both have been in for major repair (exhaust valve, blown bearings, top end etc.)many times this summer. Besides valve adjustments, nothing has gone wrong with either of my Yamaha since 2004.

Cheers.

Not to blast the others, but the WRs are the most reliable of the popular top three.

The Honda has the valve issues and the KTM's tend to overheat puking coolant out on the trail, and the oil changes take quite a bit longer. But WR keeps rollin along.:ride:

All three are fun to ride, but the wrench to ride ratio is the least with the WR.?

My 450 is an '07 with free mods, a JD jetting kit and a FMF TI Powercore pipe. The bike is very fast, I've seen 96mph before jetting. Roll on wheelies happen. My friend has a cfr450r and he has had valves done recently. They were out of wack and it wouldn't kick. I believe the R model has e start. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

My 450 is an '07 with free mods, a JD jetting kit and a FMF TI Powercore pipe. The bike is very fast, I've seen 96mph before jetting. Roll on wheelies happen. My friend has a cfr450r and he has had valves done recently. They were out of wack and it wouldn't kick. I believe the R model has e start. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
the WR is like a swiss watch. i ride and race quite a bit and the bike just keeps going. besides the normal oil changes and fresh filters.

So how do they turn? Like coming out of g-outs? does it push at all?

Yes both bikes are very good. But the WRs have been proven reliable for many years now. One thing no one else has mention that you asked about was 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke rebuilds. you will give up power going with a 2 stroke but its a different type of power and the bikes are lighter and rebuilds are much easier. If you get the opportunity the best thing you could do is ride each one to check it out for yourself... Good luck.