Help - Wr400 Timing Cams

Please help. I have a WR400f 1998 and I'm reparing the head

I had a collision between Piston and Intake valves, because the Intake cam shaft brakes in the support

Now, finish the repair work of all the head I discover that the Gear of the intake camshaft, turn By his original position and the Yamaha original Timing signs are not usable

Than, that's not a big problems, if Available the timing grade, but I found in the net only the timing grades for the models WR and or YZ 250

ther is no one that have the grades for the WR400 ?

Please help...thank's from Italy

I'd love to try to help but I think the language barrier is a little tough for this one. I'll give it a shot though.

Are you trying to set the cam timing?

Did you say the cam gear turned on the camshaft?

I'd love to try to help but I think the language barrier is a little tough for this one. I'll give it a shot though.

Are you trying to set the cam timing?

Did you say the cam gear turned on the camshaft?

Dear Solo-WR400,

Yes, My American is not perfect, but I think we can understand perfectly

Yes, I'm trying to set the cam Timing but the gear had turn on the camshaft.

I have the instruction manual, but there is explained how to set the the engine timing, only by the reference sign on the various parts.

What I need to set the timing is the Grades, as indicated for exemple in this page, dedicated to the YZ / WR 250

cam_timing.jpg

http://www.thumperfaq.com/cam_timing.htm#Scratch

Many thak's. I download the manual and it is exactly the same of mina, but thank's in any case ?

No problem, I mis-understood what you were asking. You could send a PM to grayracer513. He is very knowledgeable in the YZ engine and the YZ and WR use the exact same intake cam if I am not mistaken. I know that they two are interchangeable, there may be very slight differences in the timing that I am not aware of. However, I am sure that grayracer513 can answer this question or lead you to someone who can. Good luck, and sorry for the confusion.

Josh

As far as I know the YZ & WR share intake cams. It's the exaust that you change depending on what you want.

With that said I'd also say to PM Grey. Short of that you'll be looking for a new intake cam OR find someone who has a motor apart with a degree wheel & dial indicator to get you some specs.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry, I don't have the specifications for the intake timing.

If I understand you correctly, the intake cam seized in the cylinder head, which is to say that it tried to stick to the head and stop. You are also saying that this caused the cam sprocket to be rotated out of its original position, and the timing marks are no longer usable because of that.

If this is true, my advice is to replace the intake cam. They are not a very expensive part, and using the old one again may give you more trouble.

If you still want to use your old one, a good source of the information you want would be a company that makes cams for Yamaha racing engines. Find one and ask them. They should know.

Tank's for Your answers.

I know is dangerous to use the old camshaft, but, for the reason that, for the big dange caused by collision between the piston and valves and on the camshaft supports.....it was necessary to change the complete head, and i never change it, but rebuild many parts...toooling this parts manualy....

It was safely for me to test the engine with the old camshaft for a short time, than, install a new one only if everythink work without more damage....

if something stops, brak or does not function again or cause other damges..it is not economic to repair somthing again...the only way, will be to sell the rest of the bike and buy a new one....

In any case, now I try to send mail to camshaft constructors... because I never find a way to ask technical things like this to Yamaha

Yamaha technical service is very closed to the final customer...there are no reference e-mail for the final customers and they turn all the technical answer to the official mechanics.... and in my areas they are no cooperatives....

than...I hope to find something...if someone have other suggestion, many thank's in advance again

If you still want to use your old one, a good source of the information you want would be a company that makes cams for Yamaha racing engines. Find one and ask them. They should know.

Grayracer, using Your suggestion, I contact Hot cams (the only one cam producer I Know)

and they give me this answer:

"

Ours are Intake open—25 close---55

Ex open---54.5 close---24.5

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

"

I don't Know if is usable on the original one or not...I Will try and test

thanks's

I know I'm a long ways away and it would take some time to get there. You would need to find out if they will work for you or not. I have a set of YZ400 cams you could have for the cost of the shipping. They are of no use to me and appear to be in good shape. If you are interested I will take a closer look at them.

Grayracer, using Your suggestion, I contact Hot cams (the only one cam producer I Know)

and they give me this answer:

Ours are Intake open—25 close---55

Ex open---54.5 close---24.5

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,

I don't Know if is usable on the original one or not...I Will try and test

thanks's

I try to use this grades, but are so difference compared to the ones i mesure on my cams...then are no usable :banghead:

1rkcooper is offering to send you a set of YZ cams for your WR. The Intake cam will be identical to yours on the WR, and the exhaust cam will work well. if you decide to use it. This is a common modification to all WR's, some simply change the exhaust timing and some swap out the cams to keep the timing marks for reference. The easiest way to do it would be to install the YZ cams, you will not look back. Hope this helps, and if you need help changing them out let us know.

Josh

1rkcooper is offering to send you a set of YZ cams for your WR. The Intake cam will be identical to yours on the WR, and the exhaust cam will work well. if you decide to use it. This is a common modification to all WR's, some simply change the exhaust timing and some swap out the cams to keep the timing marks for reference. The easiest way to do it would be to install the YZ cams, you will not look back. Hope this helps, and if you need help changing them out let us know.

Josh

Yes, 1rkcooper is very Kind

all here look very kind, many many thanks to all and expecialy to 1rkcooper, of course

You give me the confirm that Our World, the dirt bike world (excusme me but I have to use the right words), the ENDURO world IS STILL GRATE ALL OVER THE WORLD ! is the spirt of this sport, to help each other as in the forest

now we are in contact for the cams shipmet, and I hope to return You a good service, with the distribution diagrams of the WR400 as soon as I will recive the cams, and possibly, also the YZ distribution diagrams

I will inform You about the progress of the Job

Many thank's to all for the moment,

Edoardo - magra, Italy

if someone of You are please to vist, some of the enduroworld in Italy, best forum is www.soloendro.it

?