Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLUEDUDE

Mystery liquid on swing arm

13 posts in this topic

I let my brother ride my 426 today and after he was done riding, I noticed this grayish liquid on the side of the swing arm.swingarmcrap.jpg

At first I thought that it was coming from the airbox drain tube, but when I took off the filter there was nothing. I then though that it was shock oil, but there is no splatter on the spring, plastic or sub frame. and its not gas because it doesn't smell like it. So what could it be? Im stumped.

could it be from your chain?..or maybe he hit a puddle of sumthing..and it happened to only hit one spot coming off the chain..it looks like oil though..did you recently spray any type of grease cleaner or anything on that area..mine does that after i work on it and stuff drips..

Hmmmm. At first I was going to say it was chain lube or something.. but doesn't look like it. Then I was thinking it was air filter oil dripping from the bottom of the air box, but you said that wasn't it. My only guess is that your chain is to tight and its eating the chain guide, and thats some (melted) residue...?

Hows it look under the chain guide (ie where does the black stuff go)?

Hmmmm. At first I was going to say it was chain lube or something.. but doesn't look like it. Then I was thinking it was air filter oil dripping from the bottom of the air box, but you said that wasn't it. My only guess is that your chain is to tight and its eating the chain guide, and thats some (melted) residue...?

Hows it look under the chain guide (ie where does the black stuff go)?

great point! could be the chain slider thing melting

It wouldn't melt on the side away from the friction and up against a mass of heat sucking aluminum. :rolleyes:

It's oil/solvent residue that was trapped under the slider.

It wouldn't melt on the side away from the friction and up against a mass of heat sucking aluminum. :rolleyes:

that also came to mind, but I havent washed or lubed my bike in over a month. Also, I took another ride about an hour after taking the picture and It did the exact same thing. it seems to be comming from the air box drain tube, but there is no sign of a liquid of that quantity in the airbox to drip on to the swing arm. to be on the safe side, I'll plug the drain tube and see if it happens again.

Good question.

It could also be fuel "stand off", the drops of gasoline that will back up beyond the carb intake at low speeds, sometimes partly due to too high a float level. Possibly also air filter oil running off because it's been dissolved by fuel, or it simply isn't any good.

What ever it is may be running onto or through the filter so as not to be otherwise visible in the air box. The drain will let it out before a significant amount collects.

Gee sorry, just an idea.

Good question.

It could also be fuel "stand off", the drops of gasoline that will back up beyond the carb intake at low speeds, sometimes partly due to too high a float level. Possibly also air filter oil running off because it's been dissolved by fuel, or it simply isn't any good.

What ever it is may be running onto or through the filter so as not to be otherwise visible in the air box. The drain will let it out before a significant amount collects.

this morning I pluged the drain tube with a bit of paper towel and did some laps around the back yard. when I was done riding, the drips were still there and the towel piece that I put in the drain tube was dry. is it possible that my swing arm is full of some kind of liquid and it only come out when the rear suspention is compressed? or maybe my shock is squirting out oil on to the chain guard? I dont know anymore.

loosen the chain slider and see what is there....my guess Shock oil....looks like worn out shock oil - check the shock

I can't remember what the swingarm looked liked before I did the chain slider guard mod on my bike but is it possible that there is a swing arm weep hole under or near that residue location that got full of water/sand/mud and is leaking like it should? Just a guess?

is it possible that my swing arm is full of some kind of liquid and it only come out when the rear suspention is compressed?
remove the rear lower chain slider bolt and see if anything runs out.