HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Type Gendy

installing rear wheel 426

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to throw my rear wheel back on the bike for the first time, and i'm finding it doesnt fit. I noticed when i took the wheel off that it was very snug and once it came out the swingarm tightened up about an inch. NOw replacing it i need to try and spread the swingarm and inch to fit hte brake caliper bracket in.

IS THIS NORMAL?? I have triple checked to make sure the spacers were in the appropriate spot, what am i doing wrong??

TIA, gendy

It's definitely not normal for the swing arm to snap inward when the wheel is pulled. Either the swing arm is damaged, or the wheel/spacers isn't stacked up right. It should slide right in. Maybe some swapped in parts from a previous owner? Non-stock wheels?

Yea the bike came with excel rims and talon hubs. I have checked to make sure they were correct for the bike.

Anywhere i can see pics of the spacers and have far they should be in to see if thats an issue?

Here are some pics of my spacers if anybody sees something wrong... Could the sprocket side not be in far enough?

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=46455

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=46456

What is your overall width of your wheel including the spacers?

My stock wheel is 173 mm or about 6 13/16"

BTW... the sprocket side spacer/seal looks odd.....do you have a better pic of that area?

What is your overall width of your wheel including the spacers?

My stock wheel is 173 mm or about 6 13/16"

BTW... the sprocket side spacer/seal looks odd.....do you have a better pic of that area?

Does look a little unusual, like the seal is pushed part way out.

Use the dimension given above to check the swing arm spread, too. It should be very close to that same number when measured between the inside of the brake anchor over to the drive side of the arm.

I guess the sprocket side spacer or collar that slides thru the wheel was not in far enough. Thats why that rubber seal didnt look right because it could slide in or out about 1/4" inch. so i tapped it in till it was snug on the bushing and the wheel slid right in like it should.

Not sure how they ever got the wheel on like it was, or why they would have tried, anyways she's all back in one piece and rolling smoothly again!

thanks guys :)