2004 WR450 in the woods-buy or not buy?

Right now i ride an 02 ttr225. The suspension is in bad shape, especially the front forks, and i just want something nicer all around. I found an 04 wr450 that i like, but im not sure if it would be good in the type of riding i do. The ttr is good in my type of riding, but the suspension is horrible and i want more power. Im riding the little ttr waaay harder than its meant for

I ride on mostly slow to moderate speed trails, with some relatively fast parts. There are rocky areas, mud, and just about everythign in between. Sometimes i like to just turn off the trail and go wherever i desire out in the woods, which most of the time means frequent stops, very slow speed, and backing up. The ttr is 260lbs and the wr is 245lbs, but the wr's seat height is 5 inches higher than the ttr.

I'm not a small guy, i'm 6'2 and 175lbs. I work out HARD 5 times a week and have been lifting for years, so i'm not weak. I know i can manage the weight of the big WR because i manage the heavier ttr easily, but the height is what concerns me.

I keep hearing that i should get a 250 for trails/woods, but i want to buy a bike that will last me for many years, not something i'll have to sell when i get power hungry again.

Also, the reliability of the WR's seems rock solid as far as my research goes, am i missing something?

Thanks in advance for any replies, i'll add any more questions as i think of them.

The 250 is a little lighter and easier to ride but you'll want more power eventually so the 450 will be a good choice. Not to mention the riding you describe is what the WR was built for. Check in on the WR forum and they'll answer all your questions in more detail, but yes they are reliable to answer one of them.

I did a 2 1/2 hour enduro at the weekend on my wr 450 that included very tight woods, up and down woods, mx and open field sections, at the end of the day i did feel a 250 would have been better for the day but i have not been on a 250 so dont no for sure, what i do know is it performed brilliantly for 75% of the track.

Tight woods: Did ok but when things got slippy with exposed roots and

adverse cambers it was a bit of a handfull.

Up and Down: Brilliant up steep hills, just pick any gear and fire it up there,

awesome. Bit heavy coming down again but ok.

MX: Did fine over the jumps and kept up with everything but 250 strokers.

Open Field: Awesome.

I think because i was against the clock in a comp situation over 2 or 3 hours something a bit lighter would have been a bit better, but if there is no time limit and you've got all day the 450 would be hard to beat.

My manual says the 250 is only 7 Kgs (15lbs) lighter than the 450, is that enough to make a massive difference ?

Hope this helps, good luck.?

My manual says the 250 is only 7 Kgs (15lbs) lighter than the 450, is that enough to make a massive difference ?

First I say get the 450 if you think that you can handle it.

I don't think that it is the weight as much as the power. All that power in a 450 tires you out. A 250 just doesn't try and rip your arms out nearly as much. That makes the 250 easier to ride in the tight stuff.

You can go as fast on a 250 in the tight stuff as you can on a 450.

I rode an 02 250 for 1 race and it was great, then I bought my 426 and I love it way more because there is always plenty of power wherever and whenever you want it.

If you're 6'2", the height should not be an issue. I'm 5'10 1/2 and I don't have a problem on my 426.

I would recommend the 450.

I raced my 04' for two seasons - primarily tight and technical single track here in the pac northwest.... slippery roots and rocks most of the year... I will not lie, the 450 can be extremely tiring at race pace. If you do a lot of what I call "pack and carry" - "Sometimes i like to just turn off the trail and go wherever i desire out in the woods, which most of the time means frequent stops, very slow speed, and backing up."

The WR will overheat so make sure your coolant overflow system is in place, (a lot of people take them off:bonk:)

I might suggest a rear trials tire too ?

Have fun, the TTR is a play bike at best the WR is a Woods Weapon if your man enuf:busted: