Need help replacing coolant on a 2003 WR450.

Hey all. I had another thread going talking about the coolant dripping out, hitting the radiator and causing steam/smoke.

I have since realized that I have no coolant overflow resevoir. I guess I will see about buying one if anyone has any advice there...

But, in the meantime, when my bike is completely cold and I remove the radiator cap I can't see any coolant at all.

1)Shouldn't it be filled to the top when cool?

2)To take care of this, is it true that I can't just add more?

3)If so, is there a video out there or something that can walk me through completely how to do this?

4)What coolant would you all suggest for a 2003 WR 450?

Thanks so much!!!

Filled to the top, yes. Without an overflow resivoir, once it heats up it's going to puke out some, so if you check it cold after that it won't be full. Yes just add more. There might be a video somewhere, but you don't really need one, just fill er up. Engine Ice works well for me.

So I don't need to empty the old coolant first since I don't know what type the previous owner used?

Its a very easy procedure to drain and replace the coolant. Use your WR manual, or search for a PDF WR manual here on TT.

Just have to remove a couple drain plugs and hose to get the old out. Then buy some coolant designed for this application from a local bike shop. Mix with water per the directions and fill er up. Run for a while, then refill to top it off.

If you plan to use some of the high tech coolant that doesn't mix with water, its a little more involved.

No biggeee....

So I don't need to empty the old coolant first since I don't know what type the previous owner used?

Yeah, if you're going to refill it, might as well drain the old stuff out. Check the manual, there is a bolt on the lower engine that will let you drain it out.

I dont know why anyone would remove the overflow tank. I ride tight and slow sometimes and other riders(without overflo tank) are puking thier coolant, while mine just goes in the reservoir. I see these guys getting nervous if we are along way from water. I would restore it to the original system.

I dont know why anyone would remove the overflow tank. I ride tight and slow sometimes and other riders(without overflo tank) are puking thier coolant, while mine just goes in the reservoir. I see these guys getting nervous if we are along way from water. I would restore it to the original system.

K. Any advice there? Would I just find the part, attach it, and run the coolant overflow tube into that container?

Thanks!

Excuse me for the going here but- you do know that the overflow is supposed to be located under your rear fender, correct? I'm sorry- but I spent 20 minutes trying to find the oil check stick all over my engine case (I never would have thought of looking up behind the forks) and that was AFTER seeing the diagram in the manual, I thought I might ask.

Excuse me for the going here but- you do know that the overflow is supposed to be located under your rear fender, correct? I'm sorry- but I spent 20 minutes trying to find the oil check stick all over my engine case (I never would have thought of looking up behind the forks) and that was AFTER seeing the diagram in the manual, I thought I might ask.

I've looked there but didn't see it. Let me go check one more time ? .

K. Any advice there? Would I just find the part, attach it, and run the coolant overflow tube into that container?

Thanks!

Yes, if you get an original WR reservoir then it should just bolt up behind the left hand side cover. Then just run the tube from the radiator to the bottom of the reservoir, and the overflow tube from the top of the reservoir.

You probably should get an oem tank and the 2 hoses. No guesswork. The other thing I did was take a black magic marker and draw a line on the tire side of the tank along the full line. this way I just look under the fender to see if my coolant is low. Also do not be afraid of putting some extra coolant in the tank who cares if it leaks out. The whole point of the tank is to collect overflow coolant and when the engine cools off it should suck the coolant back in.

You probably should get an oem tank and the 2 hoses. No guesswork. The other thing I did was take a black magic marker and draw a line on the tire side of the tank along the full line. this way I just look under the fender to see if my coolant is low. Also do not be afraid of putting some extra coolant in the tank who cares if it leaks out. The whole point of the tank is to collect overflow coolant and when the engine cools off it should suck the coolant back in.

Ok. Any ideas of how I can find this (OEM stands for? I know it means the manufacturer's original part)?

Thanks!