Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hatterasman

Adjusting Valves.. Hard?

25 posts in this topic

Any advice on this for 650l? Links? Special tools? Would like to be able to fix things on my own. No one really works on bikes on the outer banks.

Thanks

pretty easy. omly special tool is the feeler guage. 10mm hex socket(i think!) to get access to the crank bolt to turn it over. just make sure you are at TDC and dont let it turn back when you adjust.

my opinion with adjusting valves the hardest thing is getting the bike apart enough to get to them once your there its just a lock nut and a bolt that you screw in or out until the feeler gauge in there snuggly. after that you gonna put it back together.

The motion-pro (or other) bent skinny feeler guages makes it easier, but they aren't required.

Dave

Any advice on this for 650l? Links? Special tools? Would like to be able to fix things on my own. No one really works on bikes on the outer banks.

Thanks

Well !!!!! .........isn't this something, we have two things in common! :thumbsup:

I JUST did my valves a week ago and JUST last night I was looking on the net for a vacation spot at Outer Banks!

My wife is :mad: FREAKING :mad: though because she said :rant: " that's where all the hurricanes come whipping through", should we stay away ? :lol::excuseme:

Back to the valves ......... If you didn't remove tank yet, you only have to remove the L shroud completely to take tank off, that's the way I do it anyway. Saves a few minutes, that's about it.

The valves are a piece of cake to do. Just make sure your on Top Dead Center on COMPRESSION stroke.

Back to OB again, where are you at, what area, if we go I'll stop by! :thumbsup: ...........and if I go, and you can wait a month, I'll help you with the valves, you do all the work though, because I am on vacation! :lol:

Suggestions on where we should go or if you have a lot of OB info, please PM me! Thank You!

OH, have you been out to Ocracoke? So only way there is by ferry?

Sent you a PM.

~Gary

I pulled my seat and tank to get access to the head cover. Removed the four hex plugs and used regular feeler gages to set the lash. Offset feelers would make it easier, but a dial indicator would be really cool. That's what I recently switched to.

I pulled my seat and tank to get access to the head cover. Removed the four hex plugs and used regular feeler gages to set the lash. Offset feelers would make it easier, but a dial indicator would be really cool. That's what I recently switched to.

this is the way to go!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help ya'll. Seems like this is a great community. I like to know and work on anyhthing I have... bikes are just new to me... thanks again.

Sorry for stepping in,I too have a XRL650 and need to adjust my valves.I don't have a manual.Do I roll the engine over to TDC and then adjust both the intake and the exhaust valve?Thanks in advance.

how do you affix the dial indicator's base to the bike?

i have one that screws into the sparkplug hole. really trick!:thumbsup:

Sorry for stepping in,I too have a XRL650 and need to adjust my valves.I don't have a manual.Do I roll the engine over to TDC and then adjust both the intake and the exhaust valve?Thanks in advance.

put it at tdc compression, then check clearance and adjust. both int. and exh. at same time. turn it over to next compression stroke and recheck.

huh...not saying that's wrong, but I've always rotated the crank counterclockwise until "T" mark is alligned, then adjusted all four valves.

XRs have such a stable valvetrain, that it rarely needs adjustment. If you think it needs adjustment, make sure you are sure, before adjusting.

If your gonna but a magnetic base to mount a dial indicator to then this is the ONE you want to get. Its made by NOGA there made in israel i think and they are awesome ROCK solid. They have joints like a ball and socket so you have infinite movement of the arm and have one knob to lock the whole arm down and they hold strong. I used these when i was rebuilding engines and love them they are so much better than the others with straight post's that you have to mount a few too them to get a crazy angle. There popular and if you wanna find a good price you can search for them many industrial tool places sell them. Heres the link to one page with a pic.

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=6224

huh...not saying that's wrong, but I've always rotated the crank counterclockwise until "T" mark is alligned, then adjusted all four valves.

XRs have such a stable valvetrain, that it rarely needs adjustment. If you think it needs adjustment, make sure you are sure, before adjusting.

i use a dial indicator that screws into the spark plug hole to get ATDC. just something different to do.

Martinfan, can you kind of tell me how that setup works? Finding TDC with a dial indicator. I'm trying to picture that setup in my head.

with the dial indicator screwed into the spaqrk plug hole, the plunger goes down and contacts the top of the piston. turn the crank over until the dial indicator needle stops moving, this is absolute top dead center. not really necessary, the T mark is just fine. i just like to overthink things sometimes. makes me feel important!!LOL!

I just did this (for the first time) on my '93 xrl last weekend. According to Clymer , you turn the crank to TDC on the compression stroke. All four valves will have play in them on the compression stroke and all four can be adjusted. If you are at TDC and two of the valves are open (no play), you are on the top of the exhaust stroke and the crank should be turned another 360 degree.

I am not convinced that my fat, flat auto feeler gauges were the right tool for the job. It seemed there was a lot of bending and twisting to get the gauge into the gap. I think next time I'll get gauges specifically for the task.

Good luck.

Does anyone have the actual pages from the service manual scanned that they could send me?

I cant find my manual at the moment.