Broken frame on 92 XR600

I was suprised to notice two breaks in the frame of my 92 XR600 after my last maintenance check. The first break is where the left side main tube below the motor meets the main downtube. The tube has bent, opening up a 3/16" gap.

The second break is on a smaller tube, just ahead of the RHS foot peg. The weight on the footpeg has bent this down about 1/8".

My assumption is the whole motor has to be pulled so the tubes can be welded completely. Is it possible to pull the motor as one unit without taking off the cylinder heads?

Mike.

I was suprised to notice two breaks in the frame of my 92 XR600 after my last maintenance check. The first break is where the left side main tube below the motor meets the main downtube. The tube has bent, opening up a 3/16" gap.

The second break is on a smaller tube, just ahead of the RHS foot peg. The weight on the footpeg has bent this down about 1/8".

My assumption is the whole motor has to be pulled so the tubes can be welded completely. Is it possible to pull the motor as one unit without taking off the cylinder heads?

Mike.

i dont know for sure, but i seem to remember seeing one pulled out complete.

Yes, the engine should come out complete. Once you get the engine out, clean the frame really good and take a very close look at all the welds. Since you already see two different breaks/cracks there are likely to be more. The rest of the welds/tubes may be ready to break as well. It might make sense to keep an eye out for a replacement frame for future replacement.

Was this bike jumped a lot?

Thanks for the reply, actually I havn't jumped much but I suspect the previous owner rode it much harder. 2 years after I bought it the main swingarm bolt broke, so I suspect it was ridden hard.

Mike.

I have an extra frame I'd be willing to sell but shipping might be the killer.

Is it possible to pull the motor as one unit without taking off the cylinder heads?

The head is actually easier to remove if you do pull the entire engine out first. In other words, yes the engine will come out without disassembling it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: If you get a different frame, make sure you get a title with the replacement.