HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Burtis_21

yz426????????

34 posts in this topic

I am about ready to buy a 2002 yz426 and i have a question.... Say your going up a hill and you fall over can you just pick your bike up and start kicking away or to you have to use the compression release every time you kick it over....... thnkas

every time you kick your bike you have to use the comp release. the starting routine is not hard(even on a hill)

For $100, you can do the '03 450 cam mod, and make the compression release the completely unnecessary antique that it truly is.

I guess if you are just a total beastly stud you could just kick it over. But I weigh over 200lbs and can't budge my kick starter without using the compression release.

The bikes are really easy to start once you learn how.

I think i kicked mine over once w/o the release...

Stand on trailer well above bike. Then while yelling at your kids - jump down on the starter with all youre might. I think it even started because I dont think I had it in me to start the kicking again - my leg hurt! In fact I remember my lower leg hurting for a couple of days :bonk:

I may install that cam this winter with a valve check and such, I just bought my bike, 01 from a kid in North Jersey. It runs great but have been straightning out little stuff on it since :)

Enjoy

Alright thanks...... Which would be a better trail bike and the better deal 02 yz426 low hours but is kinda dirty and dusty for 1900 or an 03 yz450 thats been ridden good for 2300....

I have a 01 426 and think the whole compression release thing isn't that bad. I guess if I raced it could be a pain but for out playing on it I haven't been bothered by having to use the lever. I suppose if I have $100 I have to spend I would make the change but it works fine for now.

I have a 01 426 and think the whole compression release thing isn't that bad.
That's because you never had auto decompression. Kick starting is only a part of the story. The bike will bump restart like a 125 after a brake stall, if you have anything over 5 mph left, just by flicking the clutch.
I guess if you are just a total beastly stud you could just kick it over.
The kick starter might explode, too. :eek:

i'd roll start but that's just me:thumbsup:

the starting process is very very easy after a ride or two

I think i kicked mine over once w/o the release...

Stand on trailer well above bike. Then while yelling at your kids - jump down on the starter with all youre might. I think it even started because I dont think I had it in me to start the kicking again - my leg hurt! In fact I remember my lower leg hurting for a couple of days :bonk:

I may install that cam this winter with a valve check and such, I just bought my bike, 01 from a kid in North Jersey. It runs great but have been straightning out little stuff on it since :)

Enjoy

i think i was going to buy that same bike, was the add on craigslist?

For $100, you can do the '03 450 cam mod, and make the compression release the completely unnecessary antique that it truly is.

I have a 450 cam and a hotcam that were given to me when I bought the bike. Which one would you recommend using? I've heard differing opinions.

Based on the feedback I see here, I would use the YZ450 cam.

The Hot Cams exhaust cam is a slightly different grind, and is intended to be used with the HC intake. It works best that way. People have said that they tried the Hot Cams e-cam by itself, and didn't think it gave as good a result as the Yamaha cam did.

The YZ450 cam in an otherwise stock 426 gives a small overall power increase, but the real story is that it flattens and extends the power curve very noticeably. The sudden hit as you roll into the mid range is replaced by the kind of power you'd expect in a 454 Chevelle; if you can hear it, it's in the meat of the power band, that kind of thing. Much smoother, very beefy low and mid, with a linear transition to top end.

The OEM cam does require that you use a special procedure to time it. See the instructions in Common Threads.

What's nice for you is that you can actually try them both, and decide for yourself. If you do that, I'd say start with the Hot Cams, because I think you'll like the Yamaha cam better, and doing it that way will save time.

Remember that you'll most likely need to adjust the valve clearance for the different cam.

If i do the yz450 cam replacement does that mean i don't even have to use the compression realease....

Does the 426 kick back alot...... my friends dad 2001 426 kick back and he had to have stitches in the bottom of his foot......

Does the 426 kick back alot...... my friends dad 2001 426 kick back and he had to have stitches in the bottom of his foot......

What was he wearing? Flip-flops?

the only time mine has ever kicked back was when i was learning to start it and happened to kick it with the throttle open.....

oh my... wow...ouch... words like that come to mind