Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cphillis

Flywheel Weights

9 posts in this topic

On the Wr 400 I heard that adding flywheel weights are a must in tight riding areas so you dont stall. If so what size do you use I know there is different sizes. I have a problem of stalling in tight areas and it throws me over the bars.

On the WR400?

It already has weight added to the flywheel stock dosent it?

I think that only applies to the YZ400/426 unless you want to add more to your WR.

------------------

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

The stator on the WR weighs 14OZ. The yz's dont have one, so no weight.

I don't think you can put a weight on the wr unless you remove the stator.

My $.02

Jeff

'98YZ400

There are flywheel weights for the wr but they aren't the same as the yz weights. I used to have a 10oz. weight on mine when I was riding tricky offroad sections and it really gives you a lot more traction climbing slippery steep up-hills. Now I ride 90% MX track so I took it off.

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity

'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)

I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

I recently added a 10oz weight on my '98 WR. I ride 100% woods. First big notoce was a very smooth idle. Next difference was accelerating. With the weight, the acceleration is super smooth which definitely mitigates any wheel spinning. It's hard to describe the difference until you ride a bike with one on it. But I know that I made a good choice.

Do a search in the "discussion archives" for flywheel. There is alot on the subject.

Ive had an 7.5oz WRD weight on my '99 for some time now and love it. The bike is much more tractable on the low speed technical stuff with no real noticable downside anywhere else in the powerband (more predictable power for me means more control).

there my 2¢

------------------

Nathan Apelbaum

99 WR400F IMS Tank/seat,Scotts full suspension mods,Fastlines front line w/CR routing,Scotts Tripletree,Dampner and Protapers,Scotts shark fin,Big Gun tapered header and muffler,W.R.D. 7.5oz flywheel weight, de-octopussed, Ricky Stator rewind, Air box lid off,UNI Air filter,14/48 gearing,DSC legalizer kit,Work connection frame guards & throttle tube,WB skid plate , Devol Rad guards ,Dunlop K139 Frt D606 rear and a couple of other little bits

Originally posted by Nathan In So Cal:

Do a search in the "discussion archives" for flywheel. There is alot on the subject.

Ive had an 7.5oz WRD weight on my '99 for some time now and love it. The bike is much more tractable on the low speed technical stuff with no real noticable downside anywhere else in the powerband (more predictable power for me means more control).

there my 2¢

Why did you go with the 7.5oz instead of the 10oz like the other replys did?

When I first hopped on my brand new '00 WR and took a hot lap around a very familiar 40+ mile loop in the local mountains, the first problem I encountered was way too much wheelspin. I figure this was partly due to a riding style developed on Honda XR's 600's and 400's over the last decade.

Nasty trails I've been over many times on an XR became serious challenges on the WR. The throttle response of the WR made most of the narrow woods trails a whole new deal. One wrong move of the right hand and off the trail you go, right into a tree. I had to slow down and learn how to go fast on a fast motorcycle.

By adjusting my riding style (aggressive / no lazy) and adding a 10oz flywheel weight to the WR, things are a whole lot better now. The throttle response is still incredible but is was reduced a little, and the wheelspin problem has almost vanished.

I added the 7.5 oz weight at the recommendation of Doug Gillette the owner of WRD(Works Racing Development 888-611-1919 toll free or 805 581-4550). He (Doug) was a former factory team mechanic for McGrath and Lamson! Thats good enough for me and besides that was the set-up he was using on his WR400. Install was straight forward and the instuctions were good too.

Im very satisfied with the modification and have had similar results as Ron in So Cal.

------------------

Nathan Apelbaum

99 WR400F IMS Tank/seat,Scotts full suspension mods,Fastlines front line w/CR routing,Scotts Tripletree,Dampner and Protapers,Scotts shark fin,Big Gun tapered header and muffler,W.R.D. 7.5oz flywheel weight, de-octopussed, Ricky Stator rewind, Air box lid off,UNI Air filter,14/48 gearing,DSC legalizer kit,Work connection frame guards & throttle tube,WB skid plate , Devol Rad guards ,Dunlop K139 Frt D606 rear and a couple of other little bits