Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim_in_WA

What kind of engine oil do you use?

30 posts in this topic

I know the engine oil topic has been covered in depth, and there's lots of debate over synthetics, weights, etc. I've read most of this information, and I'm not looking to open a can of worms here!

I'm getting ready to make the switch from Yamalube to something else, and I'd just like to know what kind of oil most of you are using.

To keep this simple and easy, how about everybody just posting what kind of oil they use (brand, weight, and whether it's synthetic, non-synthetic, or a blend).

Thanks, Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim in WA (edited 08-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tim in WA (edited 08-21-2000).]

Still shelling out $$$ for Yamalube, like the sucker I am...

"May I have another ten-dollar oil filter to go along with that six dollar motor oil?"

Where are all the brave Mobil 1 users? Somebody needs to talk me into switching before I buy another case of Yamalube.

Started with NEO, good oil and excellent

performance, hard to get locally.

Ran AMSoil 20-50 racing oil my autocross Bimmer and it made a big difference in engine heating. So tried it in my WR400f and liked it. Now I'm running the 20-50 Motorcycle stuff and it seems to work just fine! I'll change to 10-40 in the winter.

Running it in all my bikes 2-cycle and 4-cycle.

------------------

'00 WR; YZ modified, DSP exhaust system, UNI air, Dunlop D756, ProTapers, Devol Rad Guards , P-38, Mason/Dean Jetting specs. . .and lovin' it!

Go to offroad.com,click on the July 2000 issue and read MX Tuner. He has some interesting things to say.

Yep, like Hick, I'm still being suckered out of all my hard earned money. If it is not aftermarket parts (I'm an advertisers wet dream) it is the Yamalube 10w-50 semi synthetic oil.

But I'm a big, stupid dummy with no opinion of his own and therefore need to be directed by advertisers and pretty packaging that promises longer life and better performance. But I wouldn't know the difference if it bit me in the ass :)

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.

Tim,

I currently run Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic "car" oil. [No clutch slippage, unless I put my finger on the clutch lever that is.]

I have also run Castrol GTX 10w-40 "car" oil as well. [No clutch slippage problems].

As long as you follow the specs in the Yamaha manual and change your oil as recommended, you should be good to roost.

Eric in WA

I have always been a Yamalube 4R user, but recently tried Mobil 1 15-50wt (last two changes).

I have not had any unwanted clutch slippage yet.

I may be my imagination, but there seems to be less noise comming out of the top end with the Mobil 1 (cam chain, valve noise, etc.).

Some good feedback guys; keep it coming!

Just for information, I've used Mobile 1 15W-50 synthetic in most of my bikes in the past (both dirt and street) and I've never had any problems with clutch slippage. I'm leaning on staying with the Mobile 1, but wanted to see what everyone else is using.

As for my cars/trucks, I use nothing but Castrol GTX 10W-40. Have always had good luck with Castrol. Maybe it's time to try it in the bikes?

Keep the posts coming.........

I broke in the bike with the Yamalube semi-synthetic for the first 500 miles or so and then switched to full synthetic. At first I used Redline like I use in the GSXR but it's too expensive so I've been using Mobil 1 15/50. My bike doesn't burn a drop of oil and it doesn't have any blow-by out the breather tube like it did when it was new and I rev the piss out of it because I ride MX twice a week.

And of course there is no clutch problem. Everyone I know runs synthetic in their streetbikes, I have since '88 and I've never had a problem, even with my big-bore 150hp motor. I think this whole clutch slip with synthetic is some big old wives tale or something, has it ever actually happened to anyone here? Kinda like fork seals leaking because you tied the bike down too tight, everyone talks about this stuff but who has actually experienced it for real?

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity

'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)

I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

Opti-4 10W-40

(Optimal) semi-synthetic

Paul

WR400

Husky610

[This message has been edited by Paul Mooney (edited 08-22-2000).]

Yep me too. Mobil 1 15w50. You'd be hard pressed to find better oil at any price.

Brad

anyone have a recommendation on # of miles on new bike/engine before the switch from semi-synthetic (Yamaha 4R) to full synthetic? is motogreg right-on w/about 500 miles? i'm normally not cheap but about choked @ the price of 4R! thx...

OK, I think I'm convinced. I think I'll be going with my original favorite, the Mobil 1 15W/50. Thanks for all the feedback!

Tim

i am using Putoline Syntec4+ fully synthetic.

It is hideously expensive (£9.00) per litre , but is worth the peace of mind it gives .

I also change it every 400 km , along with the filter.

yes i know - there is one born every minute !

Andy