CA DMV and CHP VIN check Catch-22

Buying a bike without a title... #2.

I purchased an old motorcycle with a bill of sale and no title, took it to the DMV and paid the fees. The people at the DMV said they could run the VIN, so I went home and hauled the bike back there. They checkd the VIN and I thought everything was done. A week later, I get all of my paperwork back in the mail. :banghead: I spent an extra hour hauling my bike to the DMV.

I need to go have the VIN run by the CHP.

I can only get the VIN run by the CHP in my county.

The one CHP office in my county is so backlogged, they will not accept appointments.

The last time I did this routine, it took 2 weeks to get the appointment, 5 minutes for the officer to read the number on the frame and motor. 2 minutes to get the numbers returned.

Can I have any CHP officer on patrol check the VIN? There is a weigh station near my house. Maybe I'll drive up and play stupid... Can ya run the VIN? :excuseme:

I called the DMV and got someone that can barely speak English. I hope they were in India, but probably the person is in Sacramento. I told the person on the phone the CHP was so booked up, they are not even taking appointments for September. The reply was, "That service is very popular."

I don't want to work on this bike for the next month, just to find it can't be registered. The guy who sold it to me had the local police run the VIN. No problems, but I have to do this song and dance.

I feel for ya man....

I have had my share of problems registering out of state OHVs.

The only person that the DMV in Lompoc has to read VINs is the CHP, and he/she has to be a certified VIN Verifier. They only verify VIN once a week.

One time, the VIN Verifier was on vacation, and no one in the CHP office was certified to perform a VIN verification. So I had to wait until the verifier got back and made his next appearance at the DMV office.

Last year I bought an 80 CM400 that was sitting for 20+ years. It was last registered in 1984. I only got a bill of sale. After I got the bike to run, I went to AAA and they did the VIN verification. I had not yet paid for insurance yet so I did not complete the registration. Put the bike on my existing Progressive policy and went back. They gave me a new plate and stickers. Overall a painless process. Those AAA membership $$$ are well worth it.

I don't get why they make you go to the CHP. All they do is look at the VIN and write it on the form.

Your tax money at work.

I just regesterd a out of state bike and I did not need a chp to read and fill out the vin form.I had a local police officer do it no problems.

Yah, but the locals in them thar hills are a bit wacked, eh?

I had a local police officer do it no problems.

this is a good point. find out if any peace officer can do it, or if it HAS to be chp.

here in the idaho reich the local sherrif's substation will send someone out to my house with the forms to do the vin verification. which reminds me i need to call them and have them come out so i can register my 2 trailers and truck here (the bikes are already reg'd).

On the form...

Referred to California Highway Patrol for Inspection. If this is a revived total loss vehicle, a California Highway Patrol Inspection Certificate CHP97C is required before the application can be completed.

Need cert of CNO Completed.

Looks like it needs to go through a full vehicle inspection. It's pretty much stripped down to the basics.

• 2 years later...

Whatever you do don't use www.vinverification.com, I was given the run around and was told it would be $35 then it mysteriously changed to $95! The guy would never answer his phone or return calls but would send me a random text message. The state gives you 10 days to register your vehicle after you bring it into the state and this guy gave me the run around so I would need it done at the last minute so I would pay the $95!!!!

Too bad AAA doesnt register dirtbikes as it would save allot of time. Since your bike is a acutal motorcycle they were able to do it all there.

Last year I bought an 80 CM400 that was sitting for 20+ years. It was last registered in 1984. I only got a bill of sale. After I got the bike to run, I went to AAA and they did the VIN verification. I had not yet paid for insurance yet so I did not complete the registration. Put the bike on my existing Progressive policy and went back. They gave me a new plate and stickers. Overall a painless process. Those AAA membership $$$ are well worth it.

I don't get why they make you go to the CHP. All they do is look at the VIN and write it on the form.

• 5 years later...

When I bought my first bike, the dealer took an impression of the VIN off the frame by rubbing it with a pencil and then sticking a piece of clear tape to the VIN.  He then stuck the tape onto a piece of paper and the whole thing was done through the mail.

Maybe someone at DMV would accept the old school method.  Cost of a stamp.

Also, I don't see how they can restrict you to your county.  Any CHP in CA should work for this.  

Edited by Baja Rambler