Did i raise my fork tubes too much (06 yz450f)?

If you can tolerate the loss of high speed stability (which may not be that great), it will turn better that way. Specifically, it should be a little quicker on turn in, and push a little less, but it may also want to tuck the front under in a bumpy turn. My son tried it there. He said he liked it better lower, so he has them back at 7mm again. I didn't get to spend too much time on it that day, so I couldn't tell you in any depth.

i was actually very happy with it at the first line, just wanted to keep trying different settings, you know, all the extremes so i can get a good feel of what one extreme feels like vs the other.

this is not another "my yzf doesnt turn" thread... more like a... "different settings to try on your yzf" thread. :-)

i like to ride the long, wide-open mx/outdoor track where i ride.. so.. high speed stability loss is not a good thing. :-)

I tried sliding the forks up, as a "no cost" chassis tweak to see if it would help the YZ lay into the corner a bit quicker, and yes it did, BUT every chassis tweak has an alternate reaction, which was (ans almost always is) incorperating some high speed wobble. I for one HATE the "handlebar dance" going down straights, as it makes me tense, and more quickly tires me. I run my forks on the scribe line, and seems to be a great compramise.....

As many of you know I have a personal track behind my house. Well last weekend I spent 11 hours with tractors getting 2 turns really loamy and rutted out. This whole week has been play week for me testing different things on my 06. I Have my forks damn near exactly like your now and I dont Like it. I feel much better at the 5mm line. Maybe its because I am used to it there. I have gone up, down, with the forks, set different sag from 107mm-93mm. Played with bars in different positions, clickers etc. From what I have found for ME is I like it how I had it. 105mm sag thats what enzo said and I like it, forks on 5mm line. Bike still doesnt turn as well as I would like comapred to some I ride. I have 6 bikes in my garage that my friends keep there to ride my place so there are lots of goodies to test against. Give me everything else the Yamaha has and they way the suzuki turns Id be in heaven. But thats like asking for A women, That is Rich, Hot and Cant talk.:blah: Im done now

Amen Matt....my results are semi identical to yours.....now I am testing different fork heights and sag settings with my Applied Rac 24mm clamp kit...but at this setting 5mm, 100 -105mm sag the 06 works so much better with the new clamp offset...but, more than 5-7mmmm fork height, you lose straight line highspeed stability

let me know if that "A" women has any sisters, when you find her :applause: :applause:

its easy enough to switch my fork height at the track. we'll know in the first moto whether this setting is better/worse than when i had it at the 5mm line.

i agree about headshake. i HATE headshake. i'd rather work on my cornering techniques some more than deal with headshake down the straights at WFO speeds.

I didnt have that much increased headshake:excuseme: , but I just didnt like the way the bike felt. The higher I go with the forks it seems to want to fight me more in the ruts. I just didnt feel as smooth maybe its me. But headshake wasnt a problem and my straights are rough on my track. My bike is by far the most stable than any I have ever ridden in a straight line.

did it feel like it just wanted to turn in on you and you had to fight to keep it from folding in? what kind of fighting feeling was it?

thanks for the feedback

sometimes i just don't know if it's all in my head or what?

i rode one moto with them up high like that and didn't like it, i lowered them back down to the 1st scribe line and felt more comfortable on the bike that way.

what is this stormlink linkage you speak of and what does it do, where do i get one and how much does it cost? :-)

i'm lost..are you guys meaning that you are making the forks come up thru the clamps? or are you saying that you're making the forks go down in the clamps?..ther pics didn't load..and i have headshake a lot at high speeds..and my forks are fully high..as high as can be in the clamps..need help :/

sometimes i just don't know if it's all in my head or what?

i rode one moto with them up high like that and didn't like it, i lowered them back down to the 1st scribe line and felt more comfortable on the bike that way.

what is this stormlink linkage you speak of and what does it do, where do i get one and how much does it cost? :-)

Click on the link below..

http://www.stormcycles.com/

Click on "Products"

than click on "Suspension Linkage"

It's basically only for 2003 and 2004 Yz450f, not the newer models.