Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spamrot

WR electrical problem

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 Yamaha WR 400 in good shape and the last couple times I went out riding the turn signals and lights would stop working after a few miles and about a mile later the bike will completely shut off. I really dont know whats wrong with it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a remedy to this?

Thanks for your input.

(I searched TT and read the FAQ and didnt find what I was looking for, but perhaps I missed it. So if I did just send me the link where I can find my fix)

you may want to check your ac magneto and pickup coil and lighting coil. you will need a multi meter or ohm meter to test. does it start after it shuts off? have you tested the battery? is it charging properly?

I have a 2000 Yamaha WR 400 in good shape and the last couple times I went out riding the turn signals and lights would stop working after a few miles and about a mile later the bike will completely shut off. I really dont know whats wrong with it and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. Is there a remedy to this?

Thanks for your input.

(I searched TT and read the FAQ and didnt find what I was looking for, but perhaps I missed it. So if I did just send me the link where I can find my fix)

Could be a faulty regulator. Time to break out the volt meter.

If its got a dual sport kit on it, and the lighting load is slightly exceeding the charging capacity, then after a period of time, the battery will run out of reserve juice and the ignition will start to crap out.

This happened to me when I was running too big of a headlight (about 100 watts) on my bike. It ran great for about two hours, then the bike started to die as the battery ran down. I had exceeded the capacity of the charging system.

So you may have a shorted wire or something thats drawing too much, but not enough to cause the bike shut down right away.

Volt meter time.......

Is your bike stock or does it have a DS kit on it?

2000 WR400F has no battery...

It's better to run 35/35W bulb on headlight rather than 60/55W on this bike.