Fuel tanks for Baja

I'm headed to Baja in October with my '02 WR426. In the past we've just carried prestone jugs until we could dump it, but that's a huge pain. I've looked around and I see I can get a 4 gallon Clarke tank, Acerbis offers a front tank (number plate area), and Baja designs has a rear number plate tank.

Acerbis also has a 6.6 gallon tank for the newer WR's. Is there anything closer to this size available for the '02?

Has anybody used either of the auxilary tanks from Acerbis / Baja designs? I guess the front tank requires that I sacrifice my headlight? The baja designs rear tank I know I have to sacrifice the coolant reservoir, which I don't really want to do.

Are there any other options out there?

I don't think there are any larger tanks for the early WRs, other than the Clarke you mentioned. My buddy had the Baja Designs rear number plate tank on his YZ, and it was great in concept, but prone to leaking and never mounted quite right. Doing away with your headlight probably isn't wise in Baja, either.

When I had my WR426 and rode down there, I found that the stock tank plus a Clorox bottle full of gas strapped to my pack was the way to go. The tank alone got me almost 100 miles (better than any other bikes stock tank) and I rarely ever noticed the extra weight dangling from my pack. Plus, you can dump the gas from the bottle into the tank after a couple hours or so.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll get the Clarke and maybe pack a little as well.

I'm headed to Baja in October with my '02 WR426. In the past we've just carried prestone jugs until we could dump it, but that's a huge pain. I've looked around and I see I can get a 4 gallon Clarke tank, Acerbis offers a front tank (number plate area), and Baja designs has a rear number plate tank.

Acerbis also has a 6.6 gallon tank for the newer WR's. Is there anything closer to this size available for the '02?

Has anybody used either of the auxilary tanks from Acerbis / Baja designs? I guess the front tank requires that I sacrifice my headlight? The baja designs rear tank I know I have to sacrifice the coolant reservoir, which I don't really want to do.

Are you racing in the 1000?

I owned IMS 3.4 gallon tank for my 426. I could race 70 miles per tank in Baja with 15/48 ratio.

No I'm not racing it, hope to someday. I usually go down with my brothers once a year and this is our annual trip. We'll be hitting some of the course but we generally try to stay away from the pre-runners.

I figure with the 4 gallon Clarke I can get about 130 miles out of a tank.

Maddeh,

I should have asked in my earlier post...what weekend are you going??

I'll be down there Columbus Day weekend - going from Ensenada - San Quintin - Mikes - Ensenada.

Ben

You'll be there a little earlier than me, I'm leaving Utah on the 20th. Starting at Veronica - El Coyote - Catavina - Gonzaga - San Felipe - Veronica. Day 2 of riding is pretty big, we'll stay in San Quintin if we can't make it.

Provided we make Catavina, we're going to take an extra day to find a shortcut that will come out the wash just south of Matomi on the east coast. If we get through (and I doubt we will), then we'll skip Gonzaga and just go straight to San Felipe.

Bypass the Matomi wash?? What?? That's a great ride!

Skip Gonzaga? Huh?? Alfonsina's has the best food in Baja! I would rather be stranded there a week than spend one night in San Felipe.

In any event, have fun and ride safe.

You guys sound like you know the area well. A buddy and I are considering riding in the 250 next year. We both have the skill and the bikes but what are your thoughts on us coming out from FL, shipping bikes etc..... Is it worth it? It would be a huge personal goal for both of us. Should we just plan a long ride out there some other time?

Thanks

Kevin

I've never raced down there, so I may not be the best person to ask, but I do know that racing and extended riding trips each have thier advantages and disadvantages.

The 250 is a great starter race, especially if it starts out of Ensenada. With proper pre-planning and a willingness to spend some dough, you should do fine, assuming of course your bodies and bikes are ready. Pitting and logistics will likely be your biggest challenge. Start browsing around the Baja forum on this site. There's a lot of wisdom there, and many others either doing or contemplating what you're doing. One guy - gdbarr1976 - came out from Alabama earlier this year and finished in the 500, and he had never ridden in Baja before.

Ben

Personally I'd ride the area at least once prior to racing in it, but I've never raced there so what do I know. :p

bhiggins if we make the shortcut and there's enough daylight, we'll probably still hit Matomi. If we end up in Gonzaga then we'll hit Matomi for sure. Hopefully its in a little better shape though, we hit it two years ago just before the 1000 race and it was miles of deep whoops. :D