Test rode a 2000 KTM400EXC

I know this isnt a KTM forum but I thought that some of you guys might be interested to hear some impressions of a 400 EXC thumper. I have to admit it, this is one awesome bike!! It handled like it was 30 lbs lighter than my WR with the stock tank. It turned great at low speeds. I didnt have it going fast enough to test high speed stability. The performance was also really good. The one I rode had 2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket, though. Compared to my stock Canadian WR, the KTM even had a pleasant bark to the exhaust. The hydraulic clutch was nice but I could live without it for sure, but that button on the bars was AWESOME!! I loved just being able to stop anywhere and fire it up again without having to worry about if I could start it from where I stopped.(hills, steep inclines etc...) The only thing that is stopping my from buying one tomorrow is the initial price of the machine ($9199 CDN) and the parts availability/price. I thought I had myself convinced into buying a 2001 WR250 but now I am really confused. The magazines were telling the truth about these bikes, they are great bikes! I am not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone regarding this post, just let a few guys know how they do compare to our WRs.

I have to agree, I just recently purchased a

brand new KTM400SX and it was the best motorcycle purchase I've ever made. I was going to hold out for a 520sx, but this one already had a PC-T4 exhaust and p-38 lightning on the carb and the out the door price was $6900.00 This bike kick-starts SO

EASY the red button is really a waste of time. And the thing jumps like a dream. the suspension is great,and so is the power. The only down-fall is

the bike already comes with all the trick

aftermarket goodies so now figuering out how

to spend that extra money is the only problem. I'm not trying to stir up any bad feelings here but I just have to say it like it is. The more I ride the KTM, the more I'm glad I made the purchase. I went to Elsinore

this Saturday with a friend, brought both bikes out, and rode them back to back. Then My friend rode both bikes back to back (he hasnt ever ridden a four stroke) and hands down he and I agreed the KTM was all around

a better machine. I have spent over a year and a LOT of money trying to get my WR400 to work as good and it just never will. It's just not worth the hassle. I just get on the KTM and ride, it's that simple. And as far as maintaining the bike, it is just as easy as the Yamaha. In fact, the germans actually put grease in the bearings, and the linkless

suspension makes washing (no water in the bearings) a breeze. Anyway, I hope I haven't offended anyone, I really enjoy this website and all the great input, I hope Brian will start a new discussion post for other four-strokers and two-smokers, there are some really important issues that need to be shared among all riders especially the land closures. GET INVOLVED!

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org

" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org

</A>

WHATEVER! ? Hey I hope I haven't

offended your wife, she's probably about 6 feet tall, muscular build,and part of that whole master race thing. :D Just kidding :D

All I know is those AUSTRIANS :cool:really have their act together.

------------------

So Cal Erik

</A>

I've seen Erik and now that you mention it, he looks kinda like a German to me. ? But definitely not Austrian.

Hey Erik, are you going to head out to Glen Helen this Thrusday afternoon so I can try it out? :D

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity

'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)

I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

Greg, I doubt I can make it on Thurs. Friday

I might go to Elsinore to warm up for Saturday's REM race at Glen Helen. Our club is having a ride/race on the rem track,You're more than welcome, be there no later than 8am, bring Mitch too.

------------------

So Cal Erik

</A>

YES!! My riding buddy is bringing a KTM 520SX this Thursday so I'll give it a good check out, I can't wait.

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity

'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)

I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN