springs?..boing!

ok i'm 255 lbs..and riding stock rear spring on my 03 yz450f..is a 5.4 enough for me?..i have a chance to buy one..and i have no idea what these numbers are..any help?

A 5.4 is too soft for you. I'm 225 and use .48 springs on the front and a 5.8 on the rear.

Go over to Race Techs website and use the spring rate calculator, it will tell you exactly what you need.

That link won't work because of the way the site is set up. Go to http://www.racetech.com/ , click "Dirt Bike" , then look for Spring Rates Search at the left.

Their recommendations are .50 for the front, and 5.8 at the rear.

The numbers are rates in kg/mm. in the case of the fronts, each spring requires .50 kg of applied pressure to compress 1mm. The rear requires 5.8 kg to compress it the same amount.

The fronts are so much lighter because there are two of them working together, and they act directly on the load. The rear works alone, and is at about a 3:1 disadvantage because of being mounted so far forward of the wheel.

I weight about 265 lbs and I have a 5.9 Kg rear spring on my YZ400F.

my shop guy said that anything more than that would be way too stiff and would only be used if you do lots jumping.

I hope this helps...

Patrick M.

I'm a suspension noobie, and trying to learn more about that foreign world...

The site says that I need lighter springs and fork springs cause I am failry light (99 400)

If the springs are too stiff what will happen to the handling (rougher ride most likely?)

And if they are too soft, do you just bottom out easier?

Is there more to it?

A

I'm a suspension noobie, and trying to learn more about that foreign world...

The site says that I need lighter springs and fork springs cause I am failry light (99 400)

If the springs are too stiff what will happen to the handling (rougher ride most likely?)

And if they are too soft, do you just bottom out easier?

Is there more to it?

A

There is more to it, but I'm not an expert on the subject. The correct springs help the bike track smoothly, corner properly and be able to handle jumps. Too light of a spring, and the bike will be riding down to far in the suspension stroke and you won't be taking full advantage of the valving. And its just the opposite if you have too much spring.