acerbis tank for xr650l

Has anybody attempted to install an Acerbis 5.8gal tank on an 2007 XR650L?

They say it won't fit without "modifications"? Thought the xr hasn't changed in 15-20 years?

I have one on my '07. Actually pretty simple to install.

You will need to move the front turn signals as they will hit the tank in the stock location. You may also need to move the regulator which sits under the tank. All in all, no big deal.

Someone did a writeup over on advrider.com with more details, you may want to search over there for more details.

I put one on my 94 with no issues other than turn signals. I used a dremmel tool elongate the turn sig. brackets and tilt them up. The tank comes with arms that attach to the front down tube for stability.

I did crack the oe bracket that is welded to the down tube. I rewelded it and it has been ok for over a year now. This tank gives me a range of almost 200 miles. 170-180 before I hit reserve.

?

• 6 months later...

I pruchased a 5.8 tank for my '07 XR650L and tried to install it myself. One modification that was mentioned was "shaving frame pins off", which I did. I still can't seem to get the tank around all of the other parts in order to bolt it on. Also, I thought tightening the backstrap part of the tank would hold it in place so that I could get the two front support bolts inserted. Well, it doesn't take much torque to snap one of those bolts off. :ride: :ride: Now I need to get an easy-out to remove the rest of the bolt. ? I called a bike shop yesterday and they said they could install it for about $90. I may take that route if I can't get this thing bolted on correctly. It appears that the plastic of the tank is making contact with other parts of the bike. Has anyone else had these problems and is it bad to have the tank making contact with these parts of the bike? If so, are there any recommendations on how to position them? ?

I forgot to mention the 5.8 gallon tank is an Acerbis. I bought it from justgastanks.com and that's where it tells the modifications that may need to be done. The instructions that come with it appeared to be copied from a copy, from a copy and soforth. Clear as mud.?

Well I DID trim the mounts on the frame already but I am still having a problem making the tank fit. According to the directions, you have to spread the fins out a bit to fit around the engine and other parts there. Did that too....still can't make the tank fit though. I may be money ahead (and save a few nerves) if I just pay the dealer to put it on for me. ?

You would think they would re-design that tank to actually make it fit. Putting a new tank on shouldn't have to be a dealer project. The sad part is, I like the look of the Acerbis the best out of the big three, but went with the Clarke because of the simplicity of installation.

I have that tank on my 650L. It was a pig to force on over the frame "pins" and squeeze onto the frame. I was having a hard time, finally just got mad at it and forced that turd of a tank into place. I highly recommend tightening the front support tubes before the rear bolt. It will fit, it just takes some muscle, cussing, then a beer afterwards.

I have that tank on my 650L. It was a pig to force on over the frame "pins" and squeeze onto the frame. I was having a hard time, finally just got mad at it and forced that turd of a tank into place. I highly recommend tightening the front support tubes before the rear bolt. It will fit, it just takes some muscle, cussing, then a beer afterwards.

Thank you! This is what I needed to know! ? Now I know what I was missing.....BEER! I'll rectify that problem and see if it works. Unfortunately, I already sheared off the mount pins so there's no going back to the stock tank now anwyay. I appreciate the feedback!

One more quick question, do I have to move the rectifier/regulator? The tank is making contact with it right now. Will the tank still make contact with the regulator when the tank is properly mounted? If is making contact with the regulator, is this bad? ?

I'm also running one on my 07 xrl.

I didn't need to do anything with the turn signals at all. works fine stop to stop and locks fine.

Yup, they are referring to the 2 pins that stick out off the frame for holding the round rubber peices that the stock tank slides on to. You will need to deal with those.

I was told to remove them too but I wanted to still go back to stock someday if needed so I just cut the ends off a bit with a cutoff wheel. I left enough on so the stock rubber rings would go back on and hold but enough so the Acerbis tank would slide over without hitting. I then wrapped an old innertube around the frame at that point covering them so the tank would never get worn thru from vibration.

Works fine since last October with about 2k miles on and off road.

I also glued a small piece of an innertube on the tank underside where it contacts the regulater. so far no prbs there either.?

I'm also running one on my 07 xrl.

I didn't need to do anything with the turn signals at all. works fine stop to stop and locks fine.

Yup, they are referring to the 2 pins that stick out off the frame for holding the round rubber peices that the stock tank slides on to. You will need to deal with those.

I was told to remove them too but I wanted to still go back to stock someday if needed so I just cut the ends off a bit with a cutoff wheel. I left enough on so the stock rubber rings would go back on and hold but enough so the Acerbis tank would slide over without hitting. I then wrapped an old innertube around the frame at that point covering them so the tank would never get worn thru from vibration.

Works fine since last October with about 2k miles on and off road.

I also glued a small piece of an innertube on the tank underside where it contacts the regulater. so far no prbs there either.:ride:

Great!! That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you! ? I have a friend coming over later today to help me get this tank on. I only have about 67 miles on my bike (just bought it about 2 weeks ago) so it bothered me shearing off those pins but I did it anyway. I'll have to find some old innertube and try your tricks. Thanks again for the response!?

One more quick question, do I have to move the rectifier/regulator? The tank is making contact with it right now. Will the tank still make contact with the regulator when the tank is properly mounted? If is making contact with the regulator, is this bad?

I had my tank touching the rectifier, but it does no harm. I left my pins in place, with the rubbers still on them and just pushed the tank down over them. I am currently running the stock tank though, because the bike just feels so much smaller/ligher with that narrow tank. I save the Acerbis for 80+ mile trips.

I had my tank touching the rectifier, but it does no harm. I left my pins in place, with the rubbers still on them and just pushed the tank down over them. I am currently running the stock tank though, because the bike just feels so much smaller/ligher with that narrow tank. I save the Acerbis for 80+ mile trips.

I wish I'd thought of that before I sheared the damn things off! LOL I hate removing permanent parts that cannot be replaced. ?? Thank you for the helpful information though! If/when I get another new bike, I'll keep that in mind...unless Honda starting making bigger stock tanks! :ride:

Hey man, no worries... If you ever want to go back there is plenty of welders that can put a couple pins back on.. The left over should still be visible enough to locate them..and it shouldnt cost more than like 50 bucks to have a decent shop put a couple(Im guessin from memory) 1/2" x 3/8'thick pins on. Use the old rubber to get the diameter and depth...

No worries

Hey man, no worries... If you ever want to go back there is plenty of welders that can put a couple pins back on.. The left over should still be visible enough to locate them..and it shouldnt cost more than like 50 bucks to have a decent shop put a couple(Im guessin from memory) 1/2" x 3/8'thick pins on. Use the old rubber to get the diameter and depth...

No worries

Well that's a relief! At this point in time I'm not planning on putting the stock tank back on it but you never know! I thought about trying to have pins welded back on it but right now I don't need them. I did notice that my turn signals are hitting the tank and preventing the handlebars from locking. Guess I'll have to move the turn signals afterall. Thanks for the info though! ?

I helped a friend install an Acerbis 5.8 on his XR650L this week. :eek: There is NO need to cut the pins. It is however a two man job the first time.

Wrap 1 piece of duct tape around the frame - pins, rubber pucks and all. This helps the tank to slide over the rubber pucks. Then just push and work the tank into place with a person on each side pulling it apart slightly as needed. This even helps with the clearance of the finned rectifier thingy (or whatever it is). After a day or two it will slide on and off easily with only one person. It stretches and molds itself into shape with a little time. ?