What's Going To Happen To The 650R?

Well, the writing's on the wall, it's pretty certain that after the 2007 model year, the 650R is no more. Just wondering what you think will happen in the next couple of years - will it become sort of a collectors item for people looking for a big, heavy, simple, fast and fun dirtbike (kinda like late 60's early 70's musclecars), or fade away into obscurity - regarded as an old technology motorcycle? I have always felt that us pig owners are kind of a cult, it's a bike built for a different kind of off roading compared to most other dirt bikes, and once it's gone - there really isn't too much else out there to replace it.

Many will have the pleasure of riding the 2009 KTM 690 Hard Enduro (aka Baja). A lighter weight, e-start, 6 speed, EFI, 650cc thumper with upside forks, a linkage rear suspension, and a near 4 gallon fuel tank. The bike Honda could have built, but won't.

KTM is going to enter another niche market and hit a home run, like they usually do.

And I will be able to pick up a nice used XR650R that someone will be selling to buy the KTM. I'll drain the fluids, put some Stabil in the tank, and park it in a corner for a spare so I'll have a parts source when Honda obsoletes the 650R (no more parts).

Maybe I'll find a used KLX650R to go with my XR650R. If Kawasaki had built that chassis right, Honda would have been way late to the party. I've always wanted to put that KLX motor in a KX500 chassis...

There aren't many Rs around here either, due to the terrain (not many wide open spaces for an open bike to stretch it's legs.

Also, since they are cracking down on dual sporting dirt bikes like the R, it has become an orphan of sorts. I wish it didn't have to be this way.:banghead:

The thing is, we'll know.

We'll know what its like to roll the throttle at any speed and a get response that makes me shake my head, even after riding mine for 4 years now.

We'll know what a surprisingly smooth engine it is, for a 650cc single with such power.

We'll know the feeling you got the first time you rolled the throttle open in any of the first 3 gears, and the front wheel came up quicker than you could say "whoa, shxt!!"

We'll know how many times we snuck a quick trip to the garage, late at night, just to look.

We'll remember how many 650R's raced Baja, went home, and went back out the next weekend, with no maintenance except maybe an oil change and a new chain.

We'll remember "Dust to Glory".

The way I figure, the 650R will become a cult bike (even more than it already is), mainly for one reason: Honda got it right, from the very beginning. Then they left it the hell alone.

The XR650R is a keeper, for lots of guys that remember.

We'll remember.

• Like 1

The way I figure, the 650R will become a cult bike (even more than it already is), mainly for one reason: Honda got it right, from the very beginning. Then they left it the hell alone.

The XR650R is a keeper, for lots of guys that remember.

True...

rumors are flying about the 650R. Most are very hard to verify.

Here's another: today I was in a bike shop (not a Honda dealer, but they prep XRR's and CRF's for desert racing).

The owner tells me that Honda are currently actively testing XRR type motor in a CRF type frame.

True? Anybody's guess.

The KTM690 Baja is heavier then the XR650R and has the same horsepower. I do not see it as an answer or being the bike to win. Riders/problems would make the big difference not the bike in this case.

Well, KTM came in second to team honda #1 in the Baja 500.

Jamie Lanari, just got back form Baja with Jimmy Sones. He pitted on 7x. Full factory effort from KTM. The guy with the last name that starts with T from the KTM was there as were 2 riders from Austria. Jimmy knew Chris Blasé, one of the 3 riders. They were in 1st until just before our pit, then got passed by 1x Honda. I understand they finished 2nd overall.

Here are some pictures of the bike:

http://borynack.com/KTM690/index.htm

XR650R = $6,000 brand new

KTM690Baja = $9,000 brand new (Guessing based off of past KTM pricing)

XR650R Reliability = Legendary

KTM Reliability = ?

On a side note.... God speed on your recovery Blais. We are all wishing you the best.?

The 650R is without a doubt in a hard place. It got beat by a 450 in baja and of course Hona is going to hold on to what sells. I think as long as the can keep winning baja with a 450 we shouldn't expect to see any CRF550 or CRF650 land missiles.

When it comes down to it, the 450 can maintain the same speeds as the KTM690 so why would honda go down that road again?