Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LSmith

YZ450 Triple Clamp Offsets??

12 posts in this topic

Any of you Yamaha gurus know if the offset on 2007 triple clamps are the same as on the 2004? Just purchased an '04 and upon getting it home realized the previous owner had installed the stock clamps off of his new '07 on the '04 before he sold it (must have had some high dollar clamps on the '04). Anyway, while the newer clamps are much better than the original '04 clamps, I would really like to know if the offsets are different. I know a lot of folks swapped the stock clamps on the '06's for 22mm - 24mm offset clamps, but I don't know if the stock offset is the same from '04 to '07 (25mm). I did a search but could not get a definitive answer......

As near as I can determine, the offset on all YZ450's up to and including '07 is 25mm.

As near as I can determine, the offset on all YZ450's up to and including '07 is 25mm.

So now I wonder if those snazzy gold colored stock 06 25mm triple clamps I just removed can go on a 03 - 05 ???

They could, but they set the forks 2mm farther apart, so you'll need to make up special wheel spacers, and you might have caliper alignment problems. Of course, on an '03, the forks would need to be replaced with 48's, too.

Grayracer513

Will the clamps off off my 05 yz450f fit the 07. The clamps I have are the

RG3 23mm offset. Hope they will and if not I have set that I will sale to someone.

No, not exactly. I just said the '06+ clamps are 2mm wider spaced than the '05 and earlier models. You need custom axle spacers, or a pair of forks to go with it that match the year of the clamps.

Uh-oh....that explains the harshness in the front forks. I'm guessing it's the hub that's 2mm wider, not larger spacers? I may be interested in those RG3 clamps!

Uh-oh....that explains the harshness in the front forks. I'm guessing it's the hub that's 2mm wider, not larger spacers? I may be interested in those RG3 clamps!

Nope the bottom of the forks are different to accomadate the wider triple clamps. The hub and wheel spacers are the same as on the previous models. You could make it work by taking 1mm of each of the spacers, 1mm off the left spacer and let the axle hang out 1mm extra on the right side, or just mount it up with the axle 2mm out the right side and see if the caliper has enough play to compensate for the disk being 1mm off. Or you could just use the correct parts:bonk:

Or you could just use the correct parts:bonk:

That would be my choice if it were an option. I'll be looking for new clamps......

What's worse is the guy who has an new '07 bike with high dollars triple clamps that screws up his suspension.....Wonder what he did with the '04 stock clamps?

Nope the bottom of the forks are different to accomadate the wider triple clamps. The hub and wheel spacers are the same as on the previous models. You could make it work by taking 1mm of each of the spacers, 1mm off the left spacer and let the axle hang out 1mm extra on the right side, or just mount it up with the axle 2mm out the right side and see if the caliper has enough play to compensate for the disk being 1mm off. Or you could just use the correct parts:bonk:
All true, except that in this situation, where the wider clamps are on the earlier forks, and since all the wheel, axle, and spacer parts are the same, the effect will be that the axle will be 2mm too far inboard on the right side, but the overhang on the left will be normal.

The only advantage you would gain from the swap is the ability to run 1 1/8 bars.