Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hick

Bent Front Disc

8 posts in this topic

I searched a year's worth and did not see this topic so...

Other than obvious hammer-flat surface method what is a better (or the best) way to straighten a slightly bent front disc?

By slightly I mean noticeable but brake still works.

But I don't like riding my beloved (partly) blue (and white) thumper w/ damaged parts.

Plus I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable taking a ten dollar hammer to a hundred dollar part.

I take that back, I'm perfectly comfortable around even the largest of hammers :)

What can I do to make sure I don't make the damage worse? (this does happen from time to time when I start picking up hammers).

Or am I worrying too much and hammering too little?

As always, all advice appreciated...

I take a sharpie (black marker) and mark a line all the way around the outside of the disc.

Then spin the wheel for a couple of minutes.

Now look at the disc and see where the black line has rubbed off and where it hasnt.

More than likely the places it has rubbed off are the places it has bent the worst.

Take a small cresent wrench (mabye that what Matt is calling a big shifter, I dunno) and as he said, tweak on it. But this way you can do it on the bike and see where you need to bend.

------------------

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

Originally posted by milkman2544:

Take a small cresent wrench (mabye that what Matt is calling a big shifter, I dunno) and as he said, tweak on it. But this way you can do it on the bike and see where you need to bend.

You damn yanks!! :)

Its a shifter because one jaw on it SHIFTS!

I said BIG... not small...

Bigger is ALWAYS better!! :D

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Thanks guys, I think I've heard the crescent wrench trick before but I guess it got lost in the fog of my enthusiasm for large hammers.

This will work on YZs too, won't it? :D

Mr. Porritt,

"Shifter" is a silly name for an adjustable wrench, and makes about as much sense as calling a car trunk a "boot." Don't try and defend your amusing dialect to a bunch of Americans, we just get more amused! :)

On the other hand "Spanner" is much better than "Monkey Wrench."

(Yes I realize NZ & UK are way diff and don't offend Matt 'cause I lumped y'all together with above comment.)

Jes tryin' to be funny...

Go ahead and ridicule my rural American dialect, I talk purty funny sometimes...

But please don't call me a Yank(ee). Where I'm from that essentially means "obnoxious jerk from New Jersey..." :D

Originally posted by Hick:

Mr. Porritt,

"Shifter" is a silly name for an adjustable wrench, and makes about as much sense as calling a car trunk a "boot." Don't try and defend your amusing dialect to a bunch of Americans, we just get more amused! :)

On the other hand "Spanner" is much better than "Monkey Wrench."

A shifter .. is a shifting spanner! GET IT RIGHT!! :D

Ohh I forgot.. you 'Americans' don't speak English do you.. you have 'your own language'! :D:D

[Flame suit on.. oh no.. Zip stuck!!] :D

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.