650L cyl head temp

Sounds like the cylinder head surface temp is very similar to the temp of the oil in the reservoir according to temp dipsticks.

I wonder if that means adding an oil cooler to drop oil temps 20ish degrees or so means cylinder head temp drops of 20 as well?...

Sounds like the cylinder head surface temp is very similar to the temp of the oil in the reservoir according to temp dipsticks.

I wonder if that means adding an oil cooler to drop oil temps 20ish degrees or so means cylinder head temp drops of 20 as well?...

forgot to add my oil temp guage read 230. my GUESS is if the oil temp dropped by 20 deg., i'd say the cyl head temp would drop, just not deg. for deg. maybe 10-12.

Those numbers seem kind of low to me. I've never had an IR temp gun, but just from how water behaves on the metal, I would say my 600 runs 250 to 300 on the crankcase and way hotter on the head. Well that and the several valve seats that I had to replace over the years. I'm trail riding so the cooling is very poor when compared to high speed road riding.

I would expect the numbers to be close to aircooled aircraft engines or old VW's. That means temps as high as 400 to 450 in severe operation conditions.

I'm going to have to get me one of those IR temp guns. I've wanted one for a long time.

....I'm going to have to get me one of those IR temp guns. I've wanted one for a long time.

Me too!

I remember in a Dirt Rider magazine test of different coolants they used a temp gun. They painted a small black spot on the cylinder "To limit errors from reflections when using the infrared heat gun....".

i wonder if my new 130 dollar IR temp gun is out of calibration? i also thought these temps were low. i pointed it at the clutch cover and saw 200 deg. this after a 30 min ride on the hiway in 90 temp.

I have a Fluke IR gun, gives me about the same reading on the clutch cover as you. I think it's right.

Did any of you guys that bought IR guns spend most of the first day taking the temperature of everything in sight out of curiosity?

I have a Fluke IR gun, gives me about the same reading on the clutch cover as you. I think it's right.

Did any of you guys that bought IR guns spend most of the first day taking the temperature of everything in sight out of curiosity?

you wouldnt even beleive(actually i'm sure you do!)! i played with that thing for a good hour and a half straight! the wife is yelling at me, "richard, what are you doing??" i answer "nuthin"! i found out that a bottle of bud light in my fridge is a cool 28 deg., my great danes junk is 99 deg., my daughters foot is 97 deg., my---- well you get the picture!!!