Liscence plate fender things

Hey Bryan or anyone that can answer this,

Where did you get you liscence plate holder that is attached to your rear fender?

I have tried to figure out several ways to put a plate on the rear fender and Im coming up with nothing.

I checked bajadesigns website with no luck.

Thanks!

------------------

Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

Darin,

UFO and Acerbis makes a plate bracket w/ tailight. My Acerbis cost $50, the UFO is about $25. BUT, because of the WR's intergral tailight, these bolt-ons do not easily bolt on. They mount under the fender. The surface should be smooth w/ no irregularities. The stock WR fender doesn't have it.

I used some rubber and mounted it to my fender. My plate is mounted to this rubber flap. It is NOT DOT approved, but neither is the WR fender/tailight.

------------------

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB, boning up on my sheep shearing skills!!

Hi Milkman:

I have the Baja Designs version, it is basically a couple pieces of sheet metal (aluminium)hooked together. I am at work and going from memory, but I'll have a bash at a description.

The main piece is the long one that the plate is screwed to and has two holes for screws into the fender.

The second piece ties into the first and goes towards the front of the bike to brace the assembly. It has one hole so you end up with a triangle of screws on the end of the rear fender. The tail light screws into this assembly as well.

There is a picture of my ride on the picture page (you can barely see the plate holder).

https://www.thumpertalk.com/yamahawr400/Pictures/pictures3/hay04.jpg

I could post a couple better pictures if you are interested.

Later,

Heywood

Hmmm...Im not wanting to spend much money on this project as Colorado will probably be the only time I will use it.

I didnt know they came with a tail light too. I may just try to come up with something myself.

Also I really didnt want to drill holes in the fender because it is the stock fender that has never been used (untill now) and I wanted to keep the stock plastic clean for when I sell it.

Thanks guys!

------------------

Thanks Matt but I already have 3 yz fenders so I guess I could sacrafice any one of those 3 but then I wouldnt have a taillight. Which is why I put my stock fender on in the first place.

I may end up blowing off the whole liscence plate thing. Im just trying to "look" legal. Im far from it ?

------------------

Darin,

Ride in the middle of our gaggle of "Blue Thunder" bikes. We'll cover you!

------------------

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark/James, got forked by Pro Action, DSP airbox, PB Header, Stroker SX-1 SA, Thumper Rad Guards, Acerbis Hand Guards, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB, boning up on my sheep shearing skills AND knowing Mitch will help me out IN ANY WAY I NEED IT!!

Hey all! I looked and looked for this very same thing. I came up with an Acerbis YZ rear fender ($19-needed a tiny bit of triming) and an Acerbis bolt on brake/tail light ($36-can be easily adapted to hold a license plate). The set up looks very trick, very simliar to what you see on most EXC KTM's. To me the slickest part is being able to quickly remove the brake light and ride with just a YZ fender. You do have three very small holes in the fender but they're barely noticable. I know that sounds wierd but the bolts they use are really quite small. What can I say it works...

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

Hmmmm. sounds like a excellent setup JJ. I might go with that setup next time I go to Colorado (I havent even been yet and I can already tell you I will be back)

Its too late for me to order anything now but that sounds like something I need to look into for the next trip.

------------------

I sure like it Milkman, I looked at the UFO fender/light setup and liked the Acerbis a bit better. Keep in mind, Acerbis does sell two brake/tail light setups. One looks more square and the other is more rounded/streamline. I went with the streamline setup. I found that you have the ability to mount the light fixture fore or aft depending on which looks best to you. I choose to push mine aft so that the top edge of the light meets up with the edge of the fender. Like I said it looks trick... ?

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

I have made two licence plate brackets, one out of sheet metal, one out of stainless steel. These have been on WR's since 98. I made a prototype out of cardboard first, using all three bolts that hold the taillight on to the fender(underneath). The bracket starts out narrow, then widens out as it goes back. At the back it is as wide as the licence plate, bends down slightly with with holes to bolt on the plate.

Really easy to make, just need a piece of sheetmetal, tin snips, drill.

Roy