R motor in a L???????

I see this forum is a lttle old.AS you most know I traded my XR650L for a XR650R.I want to ride it on the street some,but after checking the local tax commisioner,They say you can't tag a off road bike.I went as far as buying a frame with a title from Keepitroosting.com.I thought it would come with a good title,but the title say's"off road only".Now I don't know what to do?I can't afford a new KTM,and I really love my XRR,so the only thing I know to do is buy a basket case XR650L and put my XRR engine in it,or swap vin's.lol

This is the most stupid law I have ever seen!I'm willing to make my bike as streetable as any production bike,and can't even ride it on the street.I have no problems welding gussets on the XRL frame to keep it from flexing.Has anyone heard of this being done yet?

If you can get an XRL frame with a title, cut the head tube with the VIN and date plate and replace the XRR tube. Then the frame will match the title and you will have done a years less fabrication to it and keep the XRR suspension to boot. Then take the title to the DVM and register it as an XRL. walk outside and go:p

RH

Aluminum and steel don't weld together so well...

Keep in mind that an XRL frame is kind of spindly already with the motor it has.

Aluminum and steel don't weld together so well...

Well I did not know that the XRR was an aluminum frame. :confused: Thanks for the education:prof: .

Well you could weld a blank tube on the frame and stamp the VIN in that.

RH

Yeah, but at the point where you're talking about cutting and welding (or faking) VIN numbers you're blatantly breaking the law. I'm not passing judgement, just saying it's illegal.

I have a question that kind of goes along with this thread. I've got a plated 650R in Indiana. It has a new title issued for it that no longer says "OFFROAD USE ONLY" or labels it as "AT." The title specifies it as MC. If I were to move to GA or WI, would the DMV deny me plates when I went to get new ones?

If so, I think this is the biggest bunch of BS! I can't believe that I could just buy a bunch of Harldly parts and scab a frame up and get a VIN issued for it, but people that want to add D.O.T equipment to a factory built bike are turned down...blows my mind. :confused:

I have a question that kind of goes along with this thread. I've got a plated 650R in Indiana. It has a new title issued for it that no longer says "OFFROAD USE ONLY" or labels it as "AT." The title specifies it as MC. If I were to move to GA or WI, would the DMV deny me plates when I went to get new ones?

If so, I think this is the biggest bunch of BS! I can't believe that I could just buy a bunch of Harldly parts and scab a frame up and get a VIN issued for it, but people that want to add D.O.T equipment to a factory built bike are turned down...blows my mind. :confused:

I think you could get it replated?

And it is a bunch od BS.

I think you could get it replated?

And it is a bunch od BS.

If that would work, you could sell your R and buy one that's already plated from another state.

Or, if you have family in a plate friendly state you could "sell" them your R, have them plate it, then they could "sell" it back to you and you could get new plates in the peach state. Could work???

Yeah, but at the point where you're talking about cutting and welding (or faking) VIN numbers you're blatantly breaking the law. I'm not passing judgement, just saying it's illegal.

I understand your point,and I obey the law,but just think about what I want to do?Am I really hurting anyone or does this affect anything?My first choice is to be as legal as I can.I only want to ride my motorcycle once in a while.

The whole problem is the DMV or whoever don't know a motorcycle from a moped.

When I went to get my tag for my old XRL,the lady told me"sir you have to have 2HP,50cc's and it has to go 30MPH,and I can't issue you a tag".

I had to explain to her she had the 1 cyl.on the title confused with HP.

I argued with her and her manager for 30 minutes,finally they gave me a tag and told me "we are giving you a tag,but the state of Ga will probably revoke it.Needless to say I kept my tag.lol:banghead:

Keep in mind that an XRL frame is kind of spindly already with the motor it has.

By todays standards, yes- but it seemed to be fine for the 600R, so its not *that* bad.

Dave

Yes and no.

Yes the vin does not belong to that bike. However you did not steal either bike. It is common practice when restoring older vehicles. Frames are swapped, truck cabs and car bodies are swapped. If you have legally purchased both the "R" and and "L" frame for the title then you have not technically done anything more illegal than modifing an "L" frame to accept the "R's" drivetrain.

It is like buying a newer Corvette chassis and putting a 32' Ford body on it. It is still titled as a Ford but has everything else from a Corvette. There is even a Chevy VIN on the frame.

I'm sure a lawyer could pick it apart if you wanted one to but I do not see where it is any worse than speeding or riding a wheelie down the street. We have all done it at some point.

OK I'm off my soap box now.:confused:

RH

Good point T6D. and that "R" is going to stop and handle light years better than the open pipe, chrome encrusted, armpit venting choppers all over the road that went through ZERO certifications...:confused:

Thanks for all the support and advise.This is a problem I would still like to solve legally.Who should I address this issue of tagging a off road bike?

It may not do any good,but I think if enough people complained about wanting to get there bikes road legal,maybe someone would listen.

Yes and no.

Yes the vin does not belong to that bike. However you did not steal either bike. It is common practice when restoring older vehicles. Frames are swapped, truck cabs and car bodies are swapped. If you have legally purchased both the "R" and and "L" frame for the title then you have not technically done anything more illegal than modifing an "L" frame to accept the "R's" drivetrain.

It is like buying a newer Corvette chassis and putting a 32' Ford body on it. It is still titled as a Ford but has everything else from a Corvette. There is even a Chevy VIN on the frame.

I'm sure a lawyer could pick it apart if you wanted one to but I do not see where it is any worse than speeding or riding a wheelie down the street. We have all done it at some point.

OK I'm off my soap box now.:confused:

RH

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong. If you do what you're describing, you're supposed to go through the process of having the CHP inspect your vehicle and parts and receipts and records. If everything's in order, they'll sign-off on it and often times they'll issue a new VIN number.

Sorry, but you're just flat-out wrong. If you do what you're describing, you're supposed to go through the process of having the CHP inspect your vehicle and parts and receipts and records. If everything's in order, they'll sign-off on it and often times they'll issue a new VIN number.

Might be different in North Carolina.

Might be different in North Carolina.

I can honestly say that the laws are slightly different from state to state.I went to some web page to look at what Ga.required to get a vehicle registered.There was a list of all the states,and most were slightly different.

One of the problems is that some of the state workers don't know squat about nothing.

I have heard of people walking into a tag office and getting a tag for something,and then others can't get a tag for the life of them.

I think the best thing to do is tell them what they want to hear,and have all your t's crossed,and your i's dotted.

I still think we should write our congerssman or who ever and explain what we want to do.

I bought my bike to ride,and ride it is what I'm going to do(on the road),with lights, signals,horn,and mirrors.

One of the problems is that some of the state workers don't know squat about nothing.

Unfortunately, that's one of the things that doesn't seem to change, no matter what state you're in.

Yes in CA that is the way they do it. The state in question is Wisconson not CA. Some states if the vehicle is 20 years old all they check is to see if it is stolen, clear VIN you do not need a title. The only time NC requires a rebuilt inspection is it it has been listed as salvage or rebuilt. Once it gets it inspection you are good to go. In his case that would not be the case.

I guess in your eyes I'm a criminal. I have replaced a rusted out cab on a 65' Chevy truck with the cab off a 66' and took the VIN tag off the 65' cab and placed it on the 66' cab. Put it all back together and repainted it. Do I need to go to prison. I helped a friend with his 57' Nomad wagon. He bought a junked one from a salvage yard with a title and swapped everything from the one he got from a family member that did not have a title for 30 years. Maybe he should go to prison too.

You make it sound like I stole it from someone else.

OK I'm through:rant:

RH

65' frame

Just the thought of all the work involved in putting an R motor into an L frame makes my head hurt. It would be a bastardized beast. You start with a pos air cooled frame (that is junk to begin with), and then try to put a big water cooled engine in it. You would need to fab radiator mounts on both sides, most likely requiring a custom tank. There is so much more to it than just a few motor mounts. I understand that $ is an issue for you, but save yourself a huge headache and go find a used ktm that has a plate already. The other option is to buy a bike with an out of state title (most common would be AZ) and have it registered in someone else's name (there should be someone who would let you use their info). Then you can ride it all you want and if they ask, you are borrowing it from a friend, or you could do what I did and take a trip to AZ, get a license that is good until you are 65, buy a bike and ride it all you want at home. If they ask, you are from AZ. I have had multiple DL's for years. I also have a friend that did the same thing in IN. Any way you decide to go, you will end up spending a bunch of $$$. If it was me in this situation, I would be riding a ktm. Good Luck!

That will not fly here. NC checks for multi licenses. My sister had one from NC and ILL. They found out when she went for a renual and they revoked her license for 1 year. I thought about using my other sisters address in MD to plate a dirt bike but it is just as bad the do it there also.

I do agree that trying to put the "R" engine in an "L" frame is the wrong way to go. But if he can pull it off more power to him.

RH

P.S.

So you are saying my XRL is a POS? Has not broke yet, 14 years and counting.