Won't start with e-button

(Also posted in Jetting forum)

Starts fine with kickstarter, but it pops and backfires with the button, and never starts. Here's my setup:

2004 WR450

Main: 168

Pilot: 48

Needle: JD Red, #4

Slow Air: 100

Fuel screw: 2.5 out

Starter: 68

Leak: 60

AP Mod: Thick O-ring

Grey wire: cut

Airbox: open

Pipe: YZ

Ex Cam: YZ

Altitude: 1,000 ft

Temp: 85-90

Thanks in advance for your help.

You might want to check the condition of your battery. If mine doesn't have a full charge it will crank and turn the engine over but won't get it to fire but will start on the first kick.

Steve

That YZ exhaust cam makes it hard to start......I have yz cam and had the same problem.....my CDI went bad so I bought Vortex X10 ingnition and it starts real easy with e-start now........kind of an expensive route but it works.

Have you checked your valve clearances?

+1 on the battery charge.

You might want to check the condition of your battery. If mine doesn't have a full charge it will crank and turn the engine over but won't get it to fire but will start on the first kick.

Steve

Battery's fresh, but thanks for the reply.

That YZ exhaust cam makes it hard to start......I have yz cam and had the same problem.....my CDI went bad so I bought Vortex X10 ingnition and it starts real easy with e-start now........kind of an expensive route but it works.

I've been looking at the Vortex, not just for starting, but overall performance. Did you make any changes from stock to Vortex CDI for the better starting, or were there jetting changes between, also?

Besides making it easier to start, what about cleaning up the bottom end in general and other performance - did you notice a difference and, if so, how much? For starting only, I can't justify the cost, but if there are performance improvements, I might do it.

Have you checked your valve clearances?

+1 on the battery charge.

Clearances are good. Thx.

I've been looking at the Vortex, not just for starting, but overall performance. Did you make any changes from stock to Vortex CDI for the better starting, or were there jetting changes between, also?

Besides making it easier to start, what about cleaning up the bottom end in general and other performance - did you notice a difference and, if so, how much? For starting only, I can't justify the cost, but if there are performance improvements, I might do it.

The Vortex X10 is 419 bucks and a new CDI is 210.......I took the former route and am kinda glad I did......It does run smoother and there are 10 maps to choose from.....the first 3 maps give you low end grunt ie. runs like a tractor.....this can be good for low speed terrain......My bike runs noticably better with map 9 which is YZ map (note the grey wire has nothing to do with ignition map as you may have heard)......starting is a breeze.....if you have the extra money its a good thing to have but I was happy how my bike ran with the OEM (WR map) CDI until it quit working......The Vortex makes it run noticably better than the OEM CDI but there's not a huge gain.

do you hold the e-start for very long.

my routine for reference is:

fuel

choke

ignition

two pumps of throttle

one hit on the button (no more than 2 secs)

one more hit of throttle

hit the button (no more than 2 secs)

and the weapon is good to go

only difference is no yz cam

The Vortex X10 is 419 bucks and a new CDI is 210.......I took the former route and am kinda glad I did......It does run smoother and there are 10 maps to choose from.....the first 3 maps give you low end grunt ie. runs like a tractor.....this can be good for low speed terrain......My bike runs noticably better with map 9 which is YZ map (note the grey wire has nothing to do with ignition map as you may have heard)......starting is a breeze.....if you have the extra money its a good thing to have but I was happy how my bike ran with the OEM (WR map) CDI until it quit working......The Vortex makes it run noticably better than the OEM CDI but there's not a huge gain.

I put the Vortex in, and it's running great, especially on Map 9, as you said. Better overrev, and just cleaner. Kick starting is better and so is e-starting, but it still has issues e-starting sometimes. Beginning to think the battery, although new, is the culprit.