HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ricky1

skid plate

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I need to get a skid plate , if that is the right term, for my 426. Any reccomendations? I have seen the ones (pictures) that look like a piece of tubing that sticks out the sides. Maybe a Scott Summers product? I am looking for the best protection for my engine/sidecovers.

Thanks,

------------------

Rick Fuller

'00 YZ426

'81 490 Maico

I think mine is from MSR - fully covers the bottom of the engine/frame tubes & the generator & water pump housings. Some of the guys run the carbon fiber skid plate from E-Line and report good results.

I also think MSR is the best and has the best coverage for a skid plate. You wont be dissapointed if you get it.

If you want an idea of what it looks like on the bike go to the third page in the "pictures" section of this site, and look for "Darin in Missouri". There are pictures of my bike from each side.

------------------

Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

[This message has been edited by milkman2544 (edited 08-01-2000).]

Glide plates look good on the factory mx bikes. A smashed water pump wouldn't look so good on my bike. Get a full coverage skid plate , i.e. MSR or equivelent.

------------------

99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action, WAITING IMPATIENTLY FOR MOAB!!

AMA, NETRA

Thanks for the info. I went to the pictures page, but could not figure out how to get to additional pages.

------------------

Rick Fuller

'00 YZ426

'81 490 Maico

Originally posted by ricky1:

Thanks for the info. I went to the pictures page, but could not figure out how to get to additional pages.

MSR is great, so is White Bros. I have a WB, and it's definitely up to the task. Especially if you ride in rocks often.

Dan

I can't say anything about the MSR howwever, the last skid plate I bought from WB sucked. Not because it didn't provide great protection, but because I have to modify the hell out of it to make it fit. Lots of cutting and grinding. I know that many times, this is par for the course when it comes to aftermarket stuff. Can anyone comment on the installation of the MSR? What about the Devol or Moose Racing?

I think the Moose Plate and the MSR plate are almost identical. As far as installation goes it was absolutley no problem. It was just 3 steel hooks and a bolt in the frame.

Ricky, try again and look at the top of the pictures page. It should say "next page" or something like that. Go to the 3rd page.

------------------

The installation of the MSR skid plate on my '99 WR was pretty straight forward. The clamps were/are a little difficult to align with the holes in the skid plate but not anything a little bit of patience didn't solve. The mounting bolt that goes in the very back stock glide plate hole was the most difficult. I did not have to take a file to any of the mounting holes. Tightening the bolts did 'suck up' the skid plate to the frame.

Brian

I also have the eline carbon fiber skid plate and love it. Looks very trick. This skid plate was discussed in this forum in the past which is why I went with it.

You may want to a search of past posts to get more information on previous skid plate discussions.

Good question Dougie. Thats what I was wondering. I was planing on getting one untill I started thinking about the rocks (or boulders) we ride over out here.

------------------

The E-line plate is about 5-6mm thick.

Kevlar on the insode with a snadwich of ??? with carbon on the outside.

Really rigid with waterpump and ignition wings.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.