clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Hi guys, wanted to remove the top cap of from my fork. I got a 17mm wrench the hold just below the the cap, but the 19mm socket just can't loosen.

Which is the correct direction to loosen?

I'm afraid to over tightened it with the wrong direction.

:)

------------------

opps

------------------

'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle $th clip from top,

snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,

DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake, EZ clutch adjust perch,

Stroker billet rear brake reservoir

To loosen the fork cap from the damper rod you must turn the 17 mm lock nut that is below the cap clockwise while holding the 19 mm fork cap with a socket. Once the lock nut is loose you can unscrew the fork cap counter clockwise to remove it from the damper rod.

A navy saying: Righty-tighty; left-loosey. So far the only counter-clockwise-to-tighten stuff I normally see is aceteline fittings or LP gas bottle fittings.

On your bike, it is ALWAYS clockwise to tighten.

You are trying to remove the cap from the top of the fork leg itself, correct? If you are not doing it this way, it is best to keep the fork snugged in the triple clamps to loosen the fork cap.

After re-reading your message, you are trying to separate the cap from the upper portion of your damper rod...Is this correct?

No matter between the two, tighten is always clockwise.

Also, to break this free, keep the two wrenches semi parallel. If you have the wrenches 180 degrees out (wrenches pointing away from each other) you cannot get the leverage, and it is fairly awkward. Keep the wrench angle to a shallow "V", i.e. an acute angle.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-28-2000).]

If the forks are still in the top triple clamps make sure you have loosened the triple clamp bolts otherwise these will tend to lock the fork cap in its threads.

Keep the lower clamp bolts tight as this will prevent the forks from rotating.

Yeah 99.99% of the stuff on the bike is right hand.. I think the fly wheel may be l/hand???

The only l/hand stuff I ever deal with is acetylene bottles and centrifuge purifiers on the ship.. they're all l/hand.. (and spinning at 10,000 rpm/min!)

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Hi Kevin, you are right! :)

I was referring to the fork cap only.

Thank for enlightening. :D

So when can I have the T-shirt?

hahaa, suddenly out of topic.

But you guys are indeed a great bunch of

people I can say!!!

nice to meet you Kevin! :D

------------------

'98 WR400F, YZ timed, main:180, pilot:48, DVR needle 4th clip from top,

snorkel removed, YZ tank/seat combo, YZ front no.plate/rear fender,

DSP Ti exhaust system, Brembo front brake,steel braided hose, EZ clutch adjust perch,

Stroker billet rear brake reservoir