92 and 96 XR600R's Boring?

Hello All, Recent member here.

I am looking at getting a 90-something xr600. I have looked at 2, a 92 and 96. Each were stock except each had a slip-on pipe. Both were boring! One inch wheel raise rolling in 1st with full throttle blip. Not even close in second.

I tested a 2003 XR650R a month ago, and was lifting wheels with ease in 3rd with a 1/3 throttle blip. Different bike, but WTH?

I'm looking at a 100% stock 97 tomorrow, and am hoping for more, but was wondering what I should look for that can account for such poor performance. I dont want a boring bike, I want one that I have lots of respect for.

Thanks,

Kieran

I am looking at getting a 90-something xr600. I have looked at 2, a 92 and 96. Each were stock except each had a slip-on pipe. Both were boring! One inch wheel raise rolling in 1st with full throttle blip. Not even close in second.

I tested a 2003 XR650R a month ago, and was lifting wheels with ease in 3rd with a 1/3 throttle blip. Different bike, but WTH?

I'm looking at a 100% stock 97 tomorrow, and am hoping for more, but was wondering what I should look for that can account for such poor performance. I dont want a boring bike, I want one that I have lots of respect for.

Thanks,

Kieran

once they are jetted right (if they are like the 650L) they are way different power wise. the R definately has a little more power though.

I can check the jetting.

What are the proper jets and needle clip positions for a 600r with aftermarket air filter (maybe uncorked?--not sure if a snorkel on 90-something XRs) and slip on exhaust at 5000 ft, and regular rides between 6 and 13k feet?

Thanks,

Kieran

I can check the jetting.

What are the proper jets and needle clip positions for a 600r with aftermarket air filter (maybe uncorked?--not sure if a snorkel on 90-something XRs) and slip on exhaust at 5000 ft, and regular rides between 6 and 13k feet?

Thanks,

Kieran

my best guess from what ive read here at that ele. 160-main, 58-60 pilot. once again that is an estimation. search 600r jetting here you will find a METRIC TON of info on that. my xr650l, i use a fcr 41 pumper, live at 4300 ft. ride up to 11000 ft. sometimes and it works on 158 main ,45 pilot, 3rd clip, e2 slip on, uni pod filter and runs great. i know the 600r's like a tad more on the rich side of jetting though.

sounds like the 600 isn't the bike for you. what drove you to look at 600s?

To confirm your CO experience. I have a 92 and it required clutch to pull the wheel up in 1st (riding in the 6-10k range). Buddy on a WR450 would wheelie in 1-3 up there. Moving down to 1500 let me wheelie in 1st w/o clutch and in 2nd with a gentle pull (again without clutch).

You could really shorten up the gearing so it tops out at 65 then I'd wager you'd get wheelies in 1st and 2nd. probably not 3rd.

Thanks,

Kieran

I have a 96 XR 600 & it :censored: & gets have a super trap, snorkel removed re jetted put a 50 tooth sprocket on it plenty power torque not high rever like my 426 but its a different animal but it is not boring simple mods ive done to it wey better than stock 50 tooth rear helps lighten the front end but max speed is like 65 depends what you want to do :ride:

I have a 96 XR 600 & it :censored: & gets have a super trap, snorkel removed re jetted put a 50 tooth sprocket on it plenty power torque not high rever like my 426 but its a different animal but it is not boring simple mods ive done to it wey better than stock 50 tooth rear helps lighten the front end but max speed is like 65 depends what you want to do :ride:

gearing can make a new beast. i went 15/48,(650L) what a difference offroad! thinking about carrying a 14 front sprockett to change out at the trailhead. quick and easy power!

I don't do wheelies, but I ride really tough trails. I can lift the front over obstacles easily in first and second. With a little more technique in third. Proper jetting is a must.

The valves are usually the first thing to go. Then the rings. Fix those and you should be able to wheelie at will. The low end torque is pretty good, but the 600 does not have the top end of the 650R.

I went to look at a 97 xr600 on sat. and it was cherry. All stock, right down to the original tires, grips, and tool bag (zipper is busted). No seat tears, but a few scapes from a drop. The graphics on the tank are pealing etc., but for its age, it is extemely sweet.

I ended up snaging it. I'll post some pics somnetime.

It had better power than the other m ore worn XRs I've checked out, and noticibly more compression. Got front tire off w/o issue in 1st, but needed a bit of help in second. It had more power than the other ones, but they just had a slip on as far as I could tell.

This 97 is all stock and had been used very little (orig. grips!!!). The previous owner bought it from the orig. in 99, and that guy hardly ever rode it, with the last owner taking it out 1 or 2 times a year. I would guess it has less than 1000 miles on it, it certainly looks like it anyway.

I will have to start looking into the snorkel (which I am sure is there), a slip on and jetting.

Although this was plated before, I only ride in the dirt, so a sprocket change would make a bunch of sense, as there are not too many areas that I have seen where I could use 4th or 5th.

Thanks for the tips on the jetting. I'll have to do some more research.

Kieran