HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
runester

Aluminum frame cleaning

28 posts in this topic

Hey all

Somehow my frame has gotten what looks to be a water stain running down the right side of the frame in front of the airbox ...I dont think thats what it is but thats what it looks like, I dont really use chemicals to clean it but if/when I do I get em off quick and dont wash it in the sun, is there any type of metal/aluminum cleaner out there that will clean this?

Thanks!

Rune

No they wont, I use those and sometimes and SOS pad for the boot marks on the frame and it dosent scratch anything up at all.

try a product from wal mart..its called scratch out..i use it allllllll the time on my cars and frame..whenever you have a scratch that hasn't removed to the paint..use it! this stuff is amazing!! my car gets berry stains from a tree..and this stuff takes it out like nothing! its bascially a car wax...but it works miracles! try it on your frame and see if it goes away..

0000 steel wool? :eek: I've been using the 00 and had good results myself. A scotchbrite sponge and some metal polish also helps (blue magic), I've also used orange glo hand cleaner on a scotch brite pad. I'd like to go nuts on the frame and sand it down smooth this winter- I HATE that textured finish!

0000 steel wool? :eek: I've been using the 00 and had good results myself. A scotchbrite sponge and some metal polish also helps (blue magic), I've also used orange glo hand cleaner on a scotch brite pad. I'd like to go nuts on the frame and sand it down smooth this winter- I HATE that textured finish!

i just went with 0000 cause i didn't want to scratch the frame. it works so i just stuck with it.

Right on,

Thanks for all the replies...

I think I'll try the steel wool, I have loads of it in my garage for cleaning gasket material off engines, I also think I'll pick some of that stuff from walmart, I got the berry tree out front...drives me F...ing NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is dropping like a thousand a day right now, Thanks to everyone,

Rune

another vote for WD40 and a fine scotch brite pad..... makes your frame look new again.

I used multiple grades of sandpaper and then some mothers aluminum polish. Bling Bling. It does scratch easily again but it will only take 5 mins to buff her back to a shiny mirror like finish. Went to the track two weeks ago and got a lot of compliments.

I use wd-40 and a rough steel wool. I don't like the look of polished frames, so I try to keep the texture to mine for the dull aluminum look.

It just depends on what you like.

I think the water stain is from letting the water sit on the frame too long. When I wash my WR I spray it down with simple green, hose it off and then blow the water off with a shop vac. No water stains even washing it in direct sunlight :thumbsup:

I like the dirty look......so no frame cleaning for me:p :p

Yea, it's fun to pull into the pits with a dirty bike, and just spout off BS like "I just came from Budds Creek racing in the AMA pro-am-vet national series" The gullable young kids fall for it every time.... and then all of a sudden you're GOD in the pits.....

Yea, it's fun to pull into the pits with a dirty bike, and just spout off BS like "I just came from Budds Creek racing in the AMA pro-am-vet national series" The gullable young kids fall for it every time.... and then all of a sudden you're GOD in the pits.....

amen:thumbsup: