01 yzf426 Storage Questions

so i'm in the military and i'm going tdy for 2 months. my question is...are there any specific steps i should accomplish before storing my 426? it will not be touched at all for 2 months straight while i'm gone. and i wanna be able to come home and not have it be all gummed up or something. thanks in advance!

Drain all the gas, you can put it in your car so that it's not wasted.

The owners manual says to pull the spark plug and drop about a tablespoon of oil into the bike

is there any way to clear out the carb so the fuel doesnt get gummed up in there??

There's a little screw at the bottom of the carby that drains the float bowl through a drain tube.

anyone got anything else??

anyone got anything else??

Yes, make sure you "back the bike off"

In other words put it in 2nd gear, and roll the bike backwards until it stops, this will be at the compression stroke and that way you will leave the engine in a relaxed position with all valve springs fully extended (closed).

This will give your valve springs a break, it will also not let any kaka in either the intake or exhaust ports while stored.

P.S. how come my fuel gauge meter under my name never gets any fuller? I have been around forever and the thing never goes up?

Seeing how its only for 2 months I wouldnt worry too much about it but i always like to leave mine stored with the piston at tdc. Just to relieve pressure on the valve springs.

P.S. how come my fuel gauge meter under my name never gets any fuller? I have been around forever and the thing never goes up?

Obviously you've never been to the TT gas station to fill up! :p

You're fuller than me, and you're only a few months ahead of me. I haven't made as many posts as you though, I'm not sure how that fuel gauge works.:excuseme: Maybe our TT carby's need a rebuild, or maybe our fuel line's have a leak?

thanks for all of the good information guys! i appreciate it. cant wait to get back to riding

thanks for all of the good information guys! i appreciate it. cant wait to get back to riding

Hey and you be safe over there........We are proud of you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey and you be safe over there........We are proud of you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 and a big THANK YOU!

That's what I'm sayin. Maybe we're a-holes:thumbsup:

+1 and a big THANK YOU!

Right on---and we'll be thinking of you!

Yeah man, PLEASE be safe over there, and thank you so very much from the entire McNeely family for serving, keeping us safe and keeping us FREE.

i'll be back, your support is much appreciated