DSP TI Exhaust

My local dealer has one of these exhausts in stock. I am in Canada. It retails for $1200. and will eagerely sell it to me for the low price of &750. This is Cdn dollars.

Next question is it worth it? I heard this is a good exhaust. Very light. Looks good too. Anybody with experience with it??

Is it worth that much money?? Is it cheaper anywhere else??

------------------

99 YZ400 Stock!!

Hey Kris,

I have had the DPS system for about 8 months now and I am very pleased with the pipe. But, understand, it is a mid to top end pipe. It is not designed for off the bottom performance. So, for motocross it is very good. Also, be aware, it is quite loud. Although, when combined with the DSP airbox and velocity stack, you get significant improvements in the bottom and mid. Thus, the overall performance of pipe and airbox is AMAZING... ?

As far as pricing goes, seems like a great deal to me. Speak to "Matt Porritt" from the site. He is a distributor of DSP products in New Zealand. Great guy. I dont know if he can beat the price, but he can sure as hell offer great advice and other great DSP products.

Mitch

As an alternative you may consider the DSP aluminum. Same pipe, a couple ounces more and several hundred cheaper. I picked mine up for $400 in California.

Regarding bottom end. I disagree. My pipe rips of the bottom (with the tapered header).

As for loud. It is quieter than most.

I just saw a dirt bike magazine test and the DSP came out at least 1db quieter than most other pipes. Of course still loud, but not obnoxious.

Go with the aluminum, the weight difference can't justify the extra price.

I usually just take a good "dump" before I go riding which more than makes up for the titanium/ aluminum difference.

Thanks, for the info guys.

With the conversion to Cdn dollars though I think for the difference I would go for the titanium. I don't care that much about the weight. Just like the looks of it. :D

Mitch, from what you are saying, I guess I should buy the airbox too?? ?

I am not concerned about the noise that much. My bike is already louder than everyone else I ride with.

Matt, if your around I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

------------------

99 YZ400! Soon not to be so stock.

Originally posted by Kris Stratton:

Matt, if your around I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

OK here goes.. these are my unbiased opinions. :D

Yoshimura IS DSP.

Same pipe.. different badge.. different price. Yoshis are typically more exensive

than the DSP.

The muffler is a VERY nice unit.. but I feel it is 'slightly' let down by the fact the are a universal tail pipe just with different mid pieces and headers.

The headers are.. ahh well... lets say good.

Nice transitions in the tapers.. flared and not welded BUT the external finish is basically raw muffler tubing.. can see marks and lines from when it was orginally rolled.

Fit is good.

Performace.. well it depends on what you want.. apparently they make a top and a bottom setup.

I've got one for a guy with a DRZ and it was 500% better than the stocker (thats not saying much :D )

He got the rev pipe.. didn't loose much or any bottom and deff gained up the top.

Not tring to steer you off the idea of a DSP Ti pipe but why Ti?

Do you have too much money??... if yes then I'll sell you a REAL expensive one! :D:D:D

The difference in weight is nominal but as you're getting a good price then by all means get a Ti instead of a Alloy.

BUT the headers look great then they're all blued up! :D

Thats a really good price BUT check ALL the welds, transitions, rivits etc before handing over cash.. they may be a small reason for the GREAT price.. it seems almost too good to be true.

Personally I'm a WhiteBros man myself (woops.. I said this was unbiased! ? )

Great pipes... great price...

If you want any more info then let me kmow and I'll see what I can do.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Matt, I did think at first the same thing about the price on this pipe. The thing is they have had it on the shelf now since last year. It was designed for the 400 not the 426? The dealer told me that if I had a 426, they would not sell it to me. Not enough improvement and I would probably not be happy with it.

I don't really have loads of money to spend. I just thought that this pipe was a great deal. They have no other pipes and would have to bring any other pipe in and I would not get this kind of deal. The conversion is roughly US $500.

You also said that they get blued up?? Does this mean that the Alloy ones don't do this?? Do the Alloy pipes look better than the TI ones. I would have to agree with you on the finish of this pipe. It is a bit rough looking but that kind of makes it look cool. ?

You said that you like the WB's pipes. I am not partial to any brand. What kind of pipe/price would be comparable to this?? If there is something cheaper I am interested. I am not concerned about noise levels.

The fact is that I probably don't even need a pipe. I just thought that it was a good deal. What I am really interested in is a header pipe that clears the oil filter.

In advance:

Thanks for your help Matt.

Kris,

I have the tapered header if that is what you mean by the low to mid pipe.

The thing absolutely rips of the bottom, with the YZ timing.

I can be lugging the engine, just above the point where it might stall, and if I wack the throttle in comes immediately to life, spinning the wheel.

No complaints here, love the pipe. Fit and finish where excellent.

Sound level is quieter than most other performance pipes. Check out the lastest issue of Dirt Bike or one of the other bike rags.

One of the issures, had db readings one article didn't.

But the DSP was basically the quietest of the "performace" pipes at 103 db while most other pipes where 104-105db.

Originally posted by Kris Stratton:

Matt, I did think at first the same thing about the price on this pipe. The thing is they have had it on the shelf now since last year. It was designed for the 400 not the 426? The dealer told me that if I had a 426, they would not sell it to me. Not enough improvement and I would probably not be happy with it.

I don't really have loads of money to spend. I just thought that this pipe was a great deal. They have no other pipes and would have to bring any other pipe in and I would not get this kind of deal. The conversion is roughly US $500.

You also said that they get blued up?? Does this mean that the Alloy ones don't do this?? Do the Alloy pipes look better than the TI ones. I would have to agree with you on the finish of this pipe. It is a bit rough looking but that kind of makes it look cool. ?

You said that you like the WB's pipes. I am not partial to any brand. What kind of pipe/price would be comparable to this?? If there is something cheaper I am interested. I am not concerned about noise levels.

The fact is that I probably don't even need a pipe. I just thought that it was a good deal. What I am really interested in is a header pipe that clears the oil filter.

In advance:

Thanks for your help Matt.

The Dealer is right on the differences.

he 426 muffler has a larger core.. but the difference is not enough to worry about.

$500us is a great deal.. I couldn't beat with freight costs etc.

The TI headers turns a cool blue colour.. I think is a good thing! Looks Great!

This is probably thr lightest pipe you cold buy.. but being DSP and Ti its still not the cheapest around.

I'm partial to Whitebros (yeah yeah.. I said I was unbiased! :D ).. thats just a personal thing.

The price of a Alloy header and pipe in Whitebros flavour is prob less.. but I'd go with the DSP at that price though.

I'd say do it! and try to get him to throw in anothe airfilter or something it make it a BETTER deal! :D:D

You'll be happy with it..

My site has a pic of it on a bike.. check t out..

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I am going to haggle with my dealer tommorrow. :D

I will let you know how it goes. Maybe I can get it with the tax included. ?

I have already looked at the picture on your site. I think it looks great.

Matt, I appreciate your help, I will definately look you up when I am in the market for something else to spend my money on. :D :D :D :D

------------------

99 YZ400!

I haven't heard of two different versions as far as the powerband goes. I know you can get it with or without the spark arrestor end cap screen. I love mine, same down low as the White Bros E-series and way more top end rip.

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of a new millennium

'99 WR400 - 'cause thumpers rule!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna trade it for a dope 916)

You can visit my photo album for $1 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK