Fancy airboxes

I just read a bunch of stuff down this page, and I think its all nonsense. I'm talkin about these $500 freakin Whiz-Bang!! airboxes. None of you guys have dyno'ed one yet have you ?... I didn't think so...And I don't believe a word of it either till you do... The human body is a bad instrument for measuring horsepower or acceleration... I bet that what you think is an increase in low end punch is actually just the sound of the carb gulping air when you crack the throttle, and if its louder it must be faster right!.... I don't get it...You guys think Yamaha can design a great cylinder head with high flow ports, good combustion chamber design, and a good exhaust and carburetor (I know its a Keihin), but they can't design an airbox? Save your money and concentrate on improving your riding.... Then you won't feel so bad when a guy with a stock bike smokes your class.... Flame on.

Skeptical, you've missed the point. You don't buy a bike to save money. It's fun to modify your ride. I'm sure we all waste money on parts we don't need however; they're cool parts and that's what guys do. No offence however; you sound like my wife. "Why are you spending money on more stuff for that bike?" "Wasn't it good enough when you bought it?"

I will agree however; I'd rather have a stock bike and ride well and than have a killer bike an suck.

Skeptical,

I understand where you are coming from. I have heard the "work on your riding thing" enough. I no longer race MX anymore. I raced EXPERT CLASS in AMA District 23 and AMA District 6: 250 class, open class, 25+ class and vet class.

All I want is an increase in bottom end torque. I will gladly sacrifice top end for it. I play ride now and no longer race. I am not interested in going to Moab to smoke anybody. All I want is to have a bike that suits my riding better. When I was racing MX, I did not waste my money on hopping up my bike. I had a strict diet, and had a strict workout.

You must learn to think "Outside the box". Everything is not as you perceive it to be. If someone wants to modify his bike, should he get your permission? Do you sign his paycheck? Do you REALLY care what someone you don't know spends his money (that would not be your money) on for his bike? If you do, Dude you need a life.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-15-2000).]

I removed my personal slam. I was out of line. Although totally inexcusable, I had a real bad morning and vented on this web page. I apologize to you guys. It was immature of me.

Do you guys still love me....??? ?

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 07-15-2000).]

Skeptical, If you cant hang, take up bingo, it's cheaper...

Why you ask? BECAUSE WE CAN!

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender

You must not be married or have children.... Because if you did you'd know that the $500 airbox should've been put in your 5 year olds mutual fund so that it would grow to $12000 when he's going to need it... That's one years tuition, or 25 percent of a college education....I could buy 20 brand new WR's for cash tomorrow... but that would be dumb...Kevins got a point though, as to why I care, I guess I hoped dirt bike riders would seek the truth more than the rest of the population, but I guess I'm wrong... Maybe I just learned something.

Lets put a lid on this nonsense. I come to this forum to enjoy the funny stories, sarcasam, and funny wit that 99% of the people particapating on this board contribuite.

Now Im not one to stand on a soapbox but why must some people try to ruin what apperars to be a good time? Is it fun for them?

No lets get back to posting about blown fork seals and jetting info!!!! ?

------------------

Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

I've seen dyno runs of a YZ with a DSP airbox and pipe..

50hp at the REAR wheel.

If everything a mfg. put on their bikes was not quality and designed for max performance then there would be no need for aftermarket companies.

BUt when cost etc comes into building a bike they have to skimp a little here and there to save costs... DSP has capitalised on this.. and their Airbox DOES work.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Went for a ride yesterday with a mate who has a WR that's setup very close to mine, and we both agreed that the power of mine came on quicker and strong, and it pulled harder right through the rev range. I tell you one thing, I won't be taking the DSP air box back off mine in a hurry.

And yes I have a wife and kid, and do all the resposible family things, just so happens that I can afford to spend money on the thing I like to do, ride bikes !

We only live once, and I for one am going to make the most of it, I am not going to work 7 days a week and put every penny away to make my kids life better, when mine would be **** .

------------------

RodH Canberra, Australia<A HREF="http://www.400thumpers.oz-au.com" TARGET=_blank>

400 Thumpers Australia</A>

2000 WR400F See Photo's and Modifications

Dear Skeptical-

Since I'm looking at buying one of these airboxes, I thought I'd pour a little gas on your flame.

1st- My test for sucess is if I spend the $500 on the airbox and it makes the power much more to my liking, then I'm happy. I could care less if I go to Moab or anywhere else and get smoked. My only bench mark is myself. I'm not in this for competition.

2nd- I raced shifter karts for years where we were constantly changing jetting and parts such as this. We had the seat of the pants, data acquisition, and dyno's. With a skilled driver/tester- usually all 3 methods gave the same results. And of course the seat of the pants was first and real time.

3rd- If your opinion is firm but your flame style is for fun and you make sure others know it, more power to you. I like a little

controversy. However, if you are serious then please tone it down. The guys on this forum are very cool and I think everyone would like to keep it that way.

Harold

Hey All,

Lets go easy. Remember, I was there. If you all look back about 5 months I made a similar statement, albeit not as blunt, but I did.....

Skeptical, you did nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, nothing at all. Just do it a little more subtaly next time... We all work hard, as you do and we are all money consious, as you are... I, like many others are married and are planning their future. But, many of us have this toy that is all ours and nobody elses.. Our bikes.

Love you all guys.

Mitch

Yeah that s it

The day the postman ing the bell and he gave

me the packets with the black talon/EXCEL

wheels and my öhlins damper waslike on

christmas . It was really exciting and i couldn t wait to put this stuff on the bike

i am not really faster because of the parts but i am happier and i love to see that all around the world people have the same thinging about this.Thanks for all the crazy,interesting and funny posts in this

forum and stay on having fun to ride and wrench.CIAO EDE from GERMANY

Skeptical,

I'm offended that you are making assumptions about how I provide for my family and what my demographics may be. You are intitled to your opinions but leave my family out of it.

Let me clear some of your fog. I do have two great boys who are both honor students. They are very well provided for and do have their college fund already intact. My youngest now races BMX and just won the state championship yesterday. My oldest is just learning to ride motorcycles and loves to ride with his "old man". I think that is great for a teenager to want to do.

How do I do this. I work a second job. Yes my "day" job provids very well for my family. But my night job gives me the extra to pay for riding and racing. It is very dangerous (second job)but it is what I'm good at. The risk is minimal but the end result is worth every risk (money for the boys).

I tried to let this go but could not. I cannot and will not ever ride my bike to it's potential. But will continue to "hop-it" up however I care to.

Can you ride your bike to the MAX. If not maybe you should by a lesser CC bike. So you aren't wasting your money and I'm sure you only own a car that is capable of exactly 55 mph.

Give me your opinions ok (even though your delivery SUCKS). But do not assume you know anything about me or how I provide for my family.

YES YOU PUNCHED THE RIGHT BUTTON!!!!!

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

I feel obligated to respond since Skepticals last post was just after my last.

SKEPTICAL; "You must not be married or have children"

JJ; "I am married and have 2 wonder children, who by the way ride YAMAHAS! I can tell you that some of the most precious moments I've had with my kids and my wife, I've had while camping and riding with them."

Skeptical; "Because if you did you'd know that the $500 airbox should've been put in your 5 year olds mutual fund so that it would grow to $12000 when he's going to need it... That's one years tuition, or 25 percent of a college education"

JJ; "Thanks for the Economics lesson. I started saving for my kids education before either of them were even born, and will continue to save and plan despite not having your expert incite."

SKEPTICAL; "I could buy 20 brand new WR's for cash tomorrow... but that would be dumb"

JJ; "Sounds like a personal problem..."

SKEPTICAL; "Kevins got a point though, as to why I care, I guess I hoped dirt bike riders would seek the truth more than the rest of the population, but I guess I'm wrong..."

JJ; "We", the "dumb dirt bikers", seek the truth in what makes us HAPPY. I expect that if you took a poll of our friends and family, you would find that moto riding and especially our bikes and our goodies make us happy. You would also find that our families have not and will not suffer do to passion for dirtbikes. Infact our passion has brought enjoyment and happiness to many more people than just ourselves..."

SKEPTICAL; "Maybe I just learned something."

JJ; "I hope you have..."

------------------

JJ - 99 WR; WR timed, stock jetting, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Terry Cable Hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Russel speed bleeders, Factory Effect graphics, YZ rear fender