KTM's are great

All of you two smoke ours should thank the manufacturers (namely Yamaha) for putting some serious investment in 4 stroke developement. With the eco-nazi regime (US Government) at the helm, your two smoke riding time is limited at best. I know high-pro 4 strokes still do not meet tough EPA standards, they are MUCH closer than any two smoke. I'd rather ride a heavier 4 stroke and not ride at all. I hate to say it however; this isn't too far from the truth.

Do you think we have beat the dead horse enough??

Let us get on with our lives.

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, BUT NEVER ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL OF THE TIME.

Obviously everyone is taking this thread a little too seriously. Although, I have been provoking continued conversation regarding this thread, I find it all rather amusing. All I want to do is have a little fun. I try to leave the stress at work where it belongs. This is all just an escape for me.

Load em up and go riding, what ever your on. Whether it is the finest machine on earth or an old beater, they'll both accomplish the same thing if your in it for the fun. I wish more of you lived closer to me. It's a blast riding with a group of guys.

Later, Scrambler

KTM does indeed make a great bike but dollar for dollar they are pretty pricey compared to my WR400. In Canada a WR400 lists at $7400 whereas a 400EXC is $9000. Great bike but is it over $1500 better. I dont think so!

Good examples Bryan! I remember one time riding with a couple of guys on older (early 90's) XR 250's with bald tires. When we first say them, we thought, "Yeah, we can kick their butts!" Wrong! They kicked out butts all over the place! When we stopped at the end of the first leg of trail, we found out they were a couple of ex-pros and they we higher than a Georgia pine forest!

When I have my 1996 XR twofiddy (sort of miss that bike for the woods) we rode with two brand new Husabergs. I know they thought they'd rip us however; we dusted them just about everywhere! They paid $7,500 and we paid $3,700 brand new. Both the XR's were bone stock (except for being uncorked).

I'd rather have a crappy bike and ride well than a KTM and ride like crap!

Ooo! Before you close this thread, let me say this...

I have never seen anyone go slow on any KTM. They seem to be always standing up and going fast. And they have low numbers (i.e, in the the single digit or teen range) on their number plates.

KTM has always intrigued me except for four things...way over priced, high mntc, parts hard to come buy and can never find one.

------------------

Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

I've heard all the pros and cons and I own a

totally tricked out 99WR400 . My two best friends race KTM's, one a pro the other expert. They both raced 99YZ's and gladly

traded up for the KTM's. They both are placing much higher in their respective classes,the pro is now #2 in the AMA 4-stroke western national series and the expert

is winning in his races much more frequently.

The reason? WEIGHT! Any motocrosser will tell you that weight matters, thats why people arent lining up to ride honda's xr 650, even though it has more power, but you cant believe how many people come up and ask

if they can take my friends 520 for a lap!

Look, the bottom line is Ive ridden the 520

and 400ktm's many times, and pride wont keep

me from selling my yamaha and buying a KTM.The only reason I've waited this long to

buy one was to see how the reliability was and there havent been any problems that have

come up on the 4-strokes and my friends are very abusive riders. So, the verdicts in.... KTM.

------------------

So Cal Erik

Visit my club's site at <A HREF="http://www.ruts.org

" TARGET=_blank>www.ruts.org

</A>

From KTM's Blurb (dealer literature)

"What the new 2000 KTM Racing Four Stroke is, is a new breed of machine. It was designed, developed and tested as a pro level, strictly competition racing machine. 100% of the design and development focus was placed on high performance and lightweight. Few compromises were made for convenience, comfort and versatility. The RFS is not a low maintenance, high comfort machine, nor was it intended to be.

A real concern is for a buyer who expects the new KTM RFS to perform like KTM’s LC4. One misconception is that since the 400 & 520 E/XC RFS has electric start it could be transformed into a dual-purpose bike. This misconception will prove to be aggravating for your customer and you. The RFS is vastly different than an LC4 -- in particular, to increase performance and reduce weight, it has: no mechanical ventilation (very important in stop and go riding/ traffic); no damped clutch (therefore faster clutch wear); narrow 5 th and 6th gears (not designed for permanent stress that occurs with pavement riding); the absolute minimum required engine oil capacity and no oil cooler or frame reservoir."

It will be interesting to see how the current 520's are fairing in 2 years time

PSC

Ok thats it! I am tee-boneing the next KTM I see, if any one even thinks of riding at KTM at the moab event consider your self lunch............................. :):D :D

Hey Team Oatmeal... You kill me...

That was Funny.. I like your sense of humour, dont ever lose it.... Looking forward to meeting you in Moab.

Mitch

I've seen the same thing in NM Jake. Not too many KTMs in the showroom but show up at an offroad event (race, enduro) and they are everywhere. Where are all these folks getting parts?

They still are not as popular as Yamaha and Honda, but might be as prevalent as Kawasaki.

I've already decided that the next new bike I purchase will be a KTM.

But that can wait until I wear out my 426. And who knows how long that will take...

But if KTM is so smart how come they needed Husaberg to teach them how to build a light, competitive 4-stroke? All that internal oil passage stuff is a Husaberg invention. In fact, the light, competitive 4-stroke is a Husaberg invention. Without Husaberg there would be no RFS. Would Smets be winning if he had to ride a LC4?

Credit where credit is due...

Tell me again, why didn't I buy that 2000 FC 600??? If KTM is so great then what is wrong with Husaberg? KTM motor is based on Husaberg and now Husaberg suspension is borrowed from KTM.

FC 600 was quoted to me at $7,100 w/out tax.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 07-17-2000).]

There's a whole nother level out there...

I spent a good part of the weekend talking bikes with a few senior enduro guys. As fast and as committed my buddies and I think we are, there's a whole different ball game going on! These guys destroy bikes faster than I go through hand guards! One guy buys nothing but KTM 200's so he can keep a few in the garage for parts! When I chipped in that I was planning on a steering stabilizer for next year they laughed - what bike are you going to have next year? The toughest guy - about 50 years old - is on his third bike this year (300 EXC). This guy is old enough to run in the seniors class, but 'likes to whoop up on the kids in B'.

Now stepping back a second - None of these guys are married, have kids, soccer, baseball, birthday parties or such. They live to ride. Anjos rode with them a couple of weeks back and as soon as they finished, they were changing their oil, filters and tires. When I finish - I want a beer! These guys change sprockets and clutches like we normal riders change tires. WAY OUT THERE!

As scrambler said - everyone's bike should be different. There are a lot of enduro/trail guys here in Colorado. We have the largest KTM dealer in the country and you CAN'T get them nor parts. But, go to a race and there is a sea of orange for a reason. Some guys are willing to put in the effort and feel they're good enough to get that extra 5% out of it. More power to them!

Another quick point for all you guys that bleed Blue: KTM owns more patents than any other production bike manufacturer. They are pushing the technology! And cheers to them for doing it! God knows Honda isn't. (I can't believe they discontinued the 600 - guess the guy quit who used to change the stickers :) ). Their aluminum gears, PDS suspension, internally routed water and oil lines are all exciting new developments from a company willing to take a lead in technology. They saw Yamaha's 4-stroke effort and quickly answered. Seen anything new in a shade of green? OK – except for the ‘Sherpa’ :D

I hope someday to ride well enough to do a race bike (of any color) justice. Na, I'm opening a beer and going to a T-Ball game.

Jake

Corrections...

Originally posted by Jake:

We have the largest KTM dealer in the country and you CAN'T get them nor parts. But, go to a race and there is a sea of orange for a reason.

... internally routed water and oil lines...

Sorry guys I stand corrected. I got several e-mails informing me that Hollshot is larger than Fey Myers (That's what I get for believing a salesman!)

Holeshot Racing

364 South Arlington St.

Akron, Ohio 44306

Phone: 330-253-7455

And, Hick's got a good point on the oil lines from Husaberg. I threw a leg over a 'berg before I got the WR. I went through all the thoughts listed above - reliability, parts, service, cost etc. - I just couldn't justify it.

Jake

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 07-18-2000).]

Here's my two cents worth. I own a 01 xr650r and it is awsome. It might be heavy but I can handle the extra weight with no problems. KTM dosn't win the BAJA races. And they don't seem to win in Dakar either. In my humble opion the best bike made is probably a atk 700. What can be more powerful than a 700 2 stroke? It comes with all the bells and whistles too. That being said I wouldn't trade my 650 for one I love my bike and can keep up with anything I have seen on the dirt. And as far as reliabilty goes I think the xr's are one of the most reliable bikes ever built. Just my humble opion but I haven't herd anyone mention the Atk.

Dude, Why did you reply to a 7 year old thread?

Dude, Why did you reply to a 7 year old thread?

ROFL !!! :thumbsup:

Here's my two cents worth. I own a 01 xr650r and it is awsome. It might be heavy but I can handle the extra weight with no problems. KTM dosn't win the BAJA races. And they don't seem to win in Dakar either. In my humble opion the best bike made is probably a atk 700. What can be more powerful than a 700 2 stroke? It comes with all the bells and whistles too. That being said I wouldn't trade my 650 for one I love my bike and can keep up with anything I have seen on the dirt. And as far as reliabilty goes I think the xr's are one of the most reliable bikes ever built. Just my humble opion but I haven't herd anyone mention the Atk.

Dude you should go riding. You must be damn bored in order to reply to a SEVEN year old thread.

In Mecca Racer's defense, it is his first post (welcome to TT!). And maybe doesn't care how old the topic is. FWIW: WR's rule, KTM's drool Haha

This really sets the record for replying to an old post.!!!

KTM doesn't win dakar??????