Yellow Clarke Tank...UGH!

I have a 4.7 L clarke tank that is probably 2-3 years old and I love it...except for the fact that it is supposed to be white and it has turned yellow!!!

I know that it is because of the reaction to the gas inside, and I have tried several methods of cleaning it, i.e. steel wool, light sand paper, scotch bright pad, etc... The steel wool and a mild cleaner work the best, but it is still 4 or 5 shades darker than my other plastics.

Any ideas?

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/jaredc28/?action=view&current=InternetExplorerWallpaper.jpg

Paint? They have some pretty good paints that stick well to plastics...

Regards,

Paint? They have some pretty good paints that stick well to plastics...

Regards,

Not a gas tank though .

I scrape the yellow off by using a razor blade, should work on yours too ?

DSC03347.jpg

I've heard that steel wool and bar keeper's friend works wonders along with some elbow grease of course. I have never tried it myself but it would be worth a shot...

You might try some of those plastic cleaners. Other than that i don't know man. Good luck.

Entrenchment of the oxidized gases and de-polymerization of the tank will be an ongoing issue...no way around it...its just the property of plastics. Clean it once...it'll come back again.:prof:

Clarke might know if any of the graphics companies are making kits for their tanks. Might be time to cover it up.

The problem is that the rest of your bike isn't dirty enough.....:D

The only real options are either plastic paint or another tank. I have a "natural"(?) IMS on mine that is a dingy translucent white poly plastic color. I'm not sure how old it is nor how it looked when new.

XR600-1.jpg

The problem is that the rest of your bike isn't dirty enough.....:D

:lol::applause:

Thanks all!!!

I will keep at it with the steel wool and detergent, and I will also work on getting it a bit dirtier!