00 YZ426f

So I'm looking to buy my first modern four stroke and will be doing mostly trail riding. Not much into doubles/triples so I'll be staying off the tracks for the most part and riding northern cali. trails.

On the plate is an 00 Yamaha YZF426 for around $2200 that had been ridden as a hare scramble/xc bike.

Also on the plate is an opportunity to purchase an `03 KTM EXC 450 for what seems to be a good buy of $3600.

The Yami has suspension frt. and rear revalved for a guy within 10lbs of my wieght.

The KTM has some frt. fork work for a guy about 30lbs lighter than me. Rear shock is stock.

The Yami has been parked for about 3yrs. The KTM only has about 100hrs all together.

So which should I go with given these perameters. I'm leaning towards the KTM just because it's newer and never been raced.

But I also have heard how bullitproof the Yamaha's are and it's pretty darned cheap, and has the suspenders revalved for close to my weight.

For what it's worth, I'm a very intermediate rider.

I've never ridden a KTM but I've heard good things. I also love my '00 426 so it's hard to say. As many will say the 426's are bullet proof if well maintained. For me, I'd go with the yz but thats because $1,400 is a nice chunk of change for mods, gear, or anything else you may need.

• Like 1

Im new too but after getting my 02 426, including extra wb pipe, wc rad braces, frame plates, ims superstock footpegs, extra 3.4 gal tank, and front and back resprung susp. for $2,300 I would not settle for less than the 426. Wish you luck.

So I'm looking to buy my first modern four stroke and will be doing mostly trail riding. Not much into doubles/triples so I'll be staying off the tracks for the most part and riding northern cali. trails.

On the plate is an 00 Yamaha YZF426 for around $2200 that had been ridden as a hare scramble/xc bike.

Also on the plate is an opportunity to purchase an `03 KTM EXC 450 for what seems to be a good buy of $3600.

The Yami has suspension frt. and rear revalved for a guy within 10lbs of my wieght.

The KTM has some frt. fork work for a guy about 30lbs lighter than me. Rear shock is stock.

The Yami has been parked for about 3yrs. The KTM only has about 100hrs all together.

So which should I go with given these perameters. I'm leaning towards the KTM just because it's newer and never been raced.

But I also have heard how bullitproof the Yamaha's are and it's pretty darned cheap, and has the suspenders revalved for close to my weight.

For what it's worth, I'm a very intermediate rider.

I've had KTM's before. Be prepared for over-price parts and be prepared to buy lots of them (if you can find them). I'd take the 426. Just my 2 cents.

ok i own both bikes same year and everything and the ktm does better in the woods but is heavier than the 426 and had a terrible stock seat on it. but the 426 may stall on you in the woods till you make some mods or get used to it but the ktm is a great woods bike but its your choice i would go with the ktm just for it being an 03.